Part 74 (Walking Among Walkers)

The impact of the tower crashing onto the ground sent those closest to it falling back as the ground shook. Clouds of think, brown dust formed around the fallen tower, making it nearly impossible to see through. There were a few seconds of total silence before the growling began to echo through the dust.

After falling onto her front, CJ rolled onto her side as looked behind her at where the herd was beginning to make their way through the open section on the walls. The metal of the broken panels clanked as the walkers shuffled over it and into the town.

There was a stab of sharp pain from the wound on her shoulder, which she had no choice but to ignore as she pushed herself off of the ground and got to her feet, before sprinting away from the herd and past the solar panels to where Rick was.

"Everyone! Get back!" Rick yelled. "Get into your houses, GO!"

"Rick! Back up!" CJ shouted as she raised her rifle and shot at the walkers that had made their way around the solar panels.

Rick raised his pistol and shot a walker that had snuck up behind CJ. "Come on!" The two of them started to run around the herd to get back to the house.

Deanna appeared beside them with a gun and started to shoot at the walkers as she followed CJ and Rick.

"Deanna, you gotta get back!" CJ instructed as she fired as three more walkers.

"We need to get back!" Deanna shouted back as she ran.

A walker approached Rick and he whacked it around the head with his now empty gun. Right then, two more walkers came up behind him. CJ raised her rifle to shoot them, but as she pulled the trigger, the gun clicked; she was out of ammo.

With a frustrated groan, she slung the rifle around her body and unholstered her pistol, right as Deanna got in between Rick and the walkers. She managed to shoot one of them, but the other came at her from behind, and she fell back onto a pile of tools and a blade from the construction of the supports.

CJ shot the other walker and Rick rushed to help Deanna up; there was a tear on her shirt surrounded by a large patch of blood. CJ ran over and took Deanna's hand, slinging her arm around her shoulders to help her walk. Rick took Deanna's other side and the three of them walked as fast as they could down the road as the herd was right on their tail.

Michonne and Carl appeared beside them, along with Gabriel and Jessie's son, Ron. CJ let go of Deanna, letting Rick keep a hold of her as she pulled out her machete and started slicing through the walkers as they approached the group form seemingly every angle.

Within seconds though, a large group of the dead appeared in front of them, and there was no way of getting past them.

Suddenly, gunshots came from their left and they saw Jessie stood with a gun, shooting at the walkers to give them a gap. "Come on! I have Judith!" she yelled.

The others immediately ran after her into her house. CJ fell behind, making sure everyone got inside before she slammed the front door shut and leant back against it, completely out of breath.

"Come on! Up here!" Jessie instructed as she led them upstairs for Deanna to lie down so they could treat her injuries.

Whilst Rick and Michonne took Deanna upstairs with Jessie, the others stayed downstairs and made sure the doors and windows were all locked up and covered, so that the walkers couldn't see them.

Feeling that sharp twinge from her wound again, CJ sighed and squinted her eyes shut as she perched on the back of the sofa and pulled her vest and flannel down to check it. There were a few spots of red blood coming through the dressing, meaning the stitches had probably gotten torn whilst she was fighting through the herd. She covered it with her shirts and zipped her zest up higher, so that the thick material was putting more pressure on the wound.