Part 100 (Attack on the Hilltop)

The drive back to the Hilltop was quiet, CJ going over the events of the last day and a half in her head. In one hand, she was clutching Carl's letter tightly, as if it would blow away if she let go. She stared out of the window and watched as the sun lit up the afternoon sky above the blurry treeline. The words in the letter were hopeful, they made her think ahead to the future she had lost sight of for a while.

She wanted to be better than she had been. She didn't want to self-destruct anymore. She wanted to win the fight with the Saviors, in whatever way that may be, and get back to building her life.

As Daryl drove, he had one hand on the wheel and the other rested on CJ's thigh, softly drawing circles with his thumb. He glanced over to her now and again, but he was okay with the silence. In truth, part of him was mad at her for sneaking out alone to do what she did, but he did understand. He thought of his hatred for Dwight, and how if he found out that his worst enemy was alone somewhere, he'd go after him too.

He was tired of living life on edge. He wanted to go back to the time where he and CJ could just live their lives day to day without worrying about where the next fight was coming from. He wanted the war done with, so he could focus on his family, and the woman sat beside him.

On returning to the Hilltop, Carol was the one waiting by the gate for them, along with Henry, the boy CJ met at the Kingdom.

"Are you alright?" Carol quickly asked as the pair got out of the car.

"Yeah," CJ replied, her voice raspy. "Sorry for going out like that."

"You had your reasons," Carol said softly. "Did you get what you wanted?"

CJ swallowed the lump in her throat and nodded her head slightly. "Mhmm," he hummed.

Carol didn't say anything in response, but she understood CJ well. She wrapped her arms around the redhead, and CJ was quick to return the hug. The shared life experiences the two women shared had always made CJ feel closer to Carol than some of the others. It was like they could read each other's thoughts without having to actually speak.

When CJ pulled away from the hug, it was when she felt Daryl's hand on her lower back. Her vision was still a little blurry from all the tears, and she squinted her eyes a few times to try and clear them.

"You should head inside," Daryl spoke up. "Rest up until later."

"No, I'm okay," CJ replied. "You have to go out, and there's stuff here for me to help with."

"You don't have to," Daryl shook his head, worried that she was pushing herself.

"Yeah, I do," CJ insisted. "This is our fight, remember? I'm alright."

Daryl looked like he was about to protest, but Carol sent him a look that told him not to say anything. "Come on, everyone's inside," she said to CJ. "We're making sure everyone's geared up. Henry can show you."

"Okay," CJ agreed. She glanced up at Daryl and ran her hand down his arm. "I'll see you later, yeah?"

"Yeah," Daryl nodded, leaning down to kiss her cheek. "I'll be back later."

CJ nodded in response before mustering up a fake smile and walking away. Daryl sighed as he watched her go with Henry walking beside her toward the house. Carol put her hand on Daryl's shoulder comfortingly.