Chapter 4 - Skateboards

I stand in front of the mirror, my fingers clasped around the cold metal of the locket hanging around my neck.

For the past five minutes, I've been staring at myself, trying to decide if I should take the locket off or not.

I'm wearing high-waisted pink shorts and a simple brown tank top, my brown cowboy boots to top it off.

I don't want to take off the locket because it clashes with the outfit, it actually matches quite well.

I want to take it off because of what it carries in it.

Just a small picture of me and Ryder. Just looking at the picture makes me miss him.

But I don't want to take it off because of how much it makes me miss him. I know we said we needed to move on and see new people, but something holds me back.

Last night, while Kian was walking me home, we really hit it of in my opinion. He made me laugh and I somehow made him laugh. We joked the entire time and when we finally got to my house, he asked me to meet up with him today at some local pizza place with an arcade that he said everyone in the area loved.

Me being me, that is a teenage girl with decent sight and raging hormones, I said yes. He gave me this puppy dog face that I just could not deny so I had to say yes.

I ran my hand through my straightened hair and sigh, deciding that I looked okay.

I look at the time and decide that since its 11:30 and were supposed to meet at 12 o'clock, that I should go ahead and leave because I know all too well that I'll take my sweet time walking to the pizza place.

I begin my walk to the resteraunt, saying hi to friendly people on the street, some of whom I recognize from the party last night.

I turn on the sidewalk, barely remembering the directions Kian gave me.

Walk straight on the sidewalk, turn left after you've walked a block, turn right at the next four way, then keep going straight to the boardwalk.

I think that's what he said.

I follow the directions I was given and finally I can just walk straight. No turns, no confusion.

I look down at my phone because it makes the little ring to notify me that I have a text.

It's just from Kian, telling me he was on his way to the boardwalk.

I begin replying to him, when suddenly I hear, "Watch out!"

I barely have the time to look up before I am slammed to the ground, someone a bit bigger than me laying on top of me. I fall and try to catch myself with my elbows but it no use, my head snapping back and hitting my head on the concrete, hard.

The impact of hitting the ground along with the person on top of me causes me to lose my breath and I gasp repeatedly trying to get oxygen in my lungs.

The panic that settles quickly on me is a little bit frightening and I start to immediately get scared, remembering last night and my past.

The person on top of me rolls off and groans in what I think to be his pain. I ignore him for the moment, trying to control my breathing. I hold my hands above my head, trying to open up my lungs.

As I sit up, I feel sharp pains up my back, neck and arms, obviously the effect of me being trampled. The pain in my head from impact with the ground hurts worse then everything else. I ignore the pain, still struggling to get a sufficient amount of air in my body. I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to focus on my inhalation and exhalation.