1

Homecoming

I drove my own truck over to La Push, turning the radio down slightly as the sounds of the ocean flooded the cab. I rolled the window down and breathed in the salty air, smiling to myself softly. I caught sight of Billy and Jacob's house fairly quickly, and parked my truck beside Billy's excitedly. I tucked the keys into my pocket and raced toward the garage, watching as Jacob pulled the rusted truck's hood open.

"Hey, Jake." I greeted, snickering as he nearly dropped the hood of the truck onto his fingers. "Careful, dude. You might need your hands if you want to fix up your car."

"Lena!" Jacob huffed, turning to face me. "You suck! I could've lost my hand."

"You know better than to keep that hood open without the plank in the bed." I shook my head. "What needed to be looked at anyway?"

I walked forward, grabbing a piece of wood from the bed of the truck. I raised a brow at Jake, waiting for him to push up the hood so I could prop it open with the piece of wood. He rolled his eyes and pushed the hood up, letting go once the wood was in place.

"I was just checking the oil before we drove it over." Jake sighed. "Unless you want to let us take your truck?"

"I agreed to bring you both home after you dropped off the rustbucket." I told him. "I don't want to be caught in that thing."

"You were driving it around here yesterday." Jake smirked.

"Yeah, here." I crossed my arms over my chest. "Not in town. Where people could see me."

"Sure, Lena." Jake rolled his eyes again.

"Shut up and check the oil, Jake." I huffed, shoving his shoulder.

"On it, boss." Jake saluted, leaning over the truck once more.

"I'm going to see your dad." I told him, ducking into the house. I smiled at Billy as I stepped into his kitchen, faltering slightly at the sight of a man I hadn't met before. "Hey Billy. Sorry, didn't know you had company."

"No worries, Lena." Billy shook his head as I leaned down to kiss his cheek. "Sam, this is Helena, Jake's best friend. Lena, this is Sam Uley, he's like family."

"Nice to meet you, Sam." I smiled softly at the stranger.

"You too." Sam nodded stiffly.

"I didn't mean to interrupt." I apologized again. "I'll be out in the garage with Jake finishing up the truck. See you in a few, Billy."

"Be safe, Lena." Billy advised. "Jake can afford to lose a few fingers, but we need you whole."

"No promises." I smirked, ducking out of the house.

"I'm done." Jake huffed, wiping his hands on an old rag. "Will your sister even like the truck?"

"She will." I nodded. "From what I remember, Phil and mom decided against getting her a car until she turned 18."

"What about you?" Jake asked, eyeing the truck in his driveway.

"I got a job and bought that truck." I shrugged. "Dad said I could have it so long as I bought it myself."

"Are they almost back?" Jake questioned, tugging a sweater over his shoulders.

"Should be." I nodded. "Dad said he'd text me."

"Your dad knows how to text?" Jake snickered.

"He's learning." I nodded. "Don't give him a hard time about it, okay? He already thinks it's weird, all he needs is a snide comment from someone to stop trying altogether."