2

Gone

The next day at school, the only thing that was really noticeable was that the Cullen's weren't there. I went about my day as usual, texting Jake that I would be over after school so I wouldn't have to watch Bella sulk about her boyfriend not being around.

When I got to Jake's house, I noticed Sam, Paul, and Jared talking with Billy outside. I parked my truck beside the garage, noticing Jake wasn't inside like he usually was. I climbed out of my truck and headed toward Billy, kissing his cheek before greeting Sam, Paul, and Jared.

"Hey, guys." I grinned. "Sorry to interrupt."

"No worries, Lena." Sam shook his head. "We're talking about-"

"I know you know." Billy stated. "And I'm glad you'll be watching out for Jake, but there's still a lot you don't know, Lena."

"No, I get it." I nodded. "Don't worry. I know you'll tell me if I need to know."

"She needs to know about this, Billy." Sam stated seriously.

"I don't think sh-" Paul started, only to be cut off by a glare from Sam.

"The Cullen's left town." Billy said, looking like he was holding something back. Sam nodded at him and Billy sighed before looking up at me. "They're vampires, Lena."

"Excuse me, they're what?" I hissed.

"Oh, tell her the shapeshifters are real, she doesn't bat an eye." Jared rolled his eyes. "But vampires? Then she reacts."

"Maybe because I know that the shapeshifters are good?" I whispered, not wanting to alert Jake to my minor panic. "And vampires are known to eat people?"

"No one's going to hurt you, Lena." Paul huffed.

"Or Bella." Sam added. "Don't worry, Lena. They left town, and you're under our protection."

"Thanks." I nodded, letting out a breath. "Okay, I'll let you get back to whatever you were talking about before I got here."

With expert timing, Jake pushed open the front door with two controllers in his hands. He scanned the yard before looking right at me. A grin spread across his face and he tossed a controller at me from the front door. I caught it carefully, glaring over at my best friend.

"Lena, get in here and show Quil and Embry that we're the best team." Jake demanded. "They don't believe you're any good."

"Oh, that free-for-all we played last week begs to differ." I scoffed, heading toward the house. "Let's go."

====

"Bella's missing." Billy announced.

"What?" I asked, pausing the game.

"Her truck is in the driveway, but she hasn't been home." Billy sighed.

"Well, we have to go help Charlie find her!" Jake said, jumping up and putting his shoes on.

"Sam and the guys are out looking for her, Lena." Billy said quietly. "They're going to find her."

"Good." I sighed. "We should go. I'll drive."

I took Billy and Jake back to my house, immediately feeling my anxiety rising at the sight of police cruisers and people running around. Jake grabbed my hand after I parked, giving it a squeeze before we both got out of my truck.

"Lena, thank God." Dad breathed, pulling me into a hug.

"We'll find her, dad." I muttered, hugging him back.

"We're organizing a search party right now." He said, letting me go. "Sam and his friends stopped by, they're out looking; they know the woods better than we do."

I nodded, following him over to the hood of his cruiser, where Harry Clearwater was talking with a few officers. The sun had already gone down, and I could tell that my dad was getting impatient.

"I'm gonna try the Cullen's place again." Dad muttered.

"The Cullen's left town, Charlie." Billy informed while I wrapped my arms around Jake to keep warm.

"Good riddance." Harry scoffed, earning a nod from Jacob.

"Where'd they go?" Dad asked.

"We'll find her, Charlie." Harry tried to comfort my father.

"Here, Lena." Jake said, pulling his jacket off and draping it over my shoulders. "I'm warm enough."

"Thanks." I nodded, scanning the dark treeline. I turned around, meeting the eyes of Sam as he carried my sister out of the woods. "Dad."

"Charlie!" Jake said louder, looking over at Sam. Dad turned around and raced over to Sam, taking Bella from his arms.

"She's alright." Sam told my dad. I rushed over to Sam, glancing at my sister before hugging him.

"Thanks." Dad muttered, turning to take Bella inside.

"Was she okay?" I whispered, knowing he could hear me.

"She was muttering Edward's name a bunch, and she was cold, but she's alright." Sam said, hugging me back.

"Thank you, Sam." I said. "Thank Paul and Jared for me, too."

"Will do, Lena." Sam nodded. "Get inside, it's cold."

"Yes, sir." I saluted, heading into the house. I grabbed a few blankets and rushed up the stairs, letting myself into Bella's room. I wrapped the blankets around Bella's frame and sat down beside her.

"He's gone." Bella uttered.

"I know." I nodded, rubbing her arms. "I'm here for you, Bell."

"You're not him." Bella shook her head.

I nodded my head at her statement, trying not to let her words hurt me. I made sure the blankets were wrapped around her comfortably before I stood up. I pressed a kiss to the top of her head and left her alone in her room.

"She say anything to you?" Dad asked, passing me in the hallway.

"Just that I'm not who she wants around." I shrugged. "I'm going to head to bed."

"Don't take it personally, Lena." Dad sighed. "She's in shock."

"Good night." I smiled softly, walking into my room.