11

Non-Stop

The house was empty when Paul and I got there, but Paul insisted on doing a sweep of the house anyway. He'd mumbled something about the house smelling like a vampire and Jake, and wanted to make sure it was safe before we made ourselves comfortable. I stayed right inside the front door, waiting for Paul to come back down the stairs as I took in the messy living room.

I furrowed my brow at the jacket draped across the back of the couch, recognizing it as Jacobs. I picked the jacket up, cringing as the cold fabric squelched beneath my fingers and water dripped onto the floor.

"What's that?" Paul asked, reaching down and grabbing the wet jacket from my hands. His face screwed up and he shook his head. "It reeks of Bella and the ocean."

"What?" I muttered.

"And Jake."  Paul added. "The vampire isn't here... Whoever it was stayed downstairs."

"I need to text Jacob." I sighed. "Bella isn't here, and Jacob wouldn't just leave her by herself after what happened to Harry."

I tried to text Jake, but the message never delivered. I groaned and threw myself onto the couch, whining softly as my wrist bounced off the cushions.

"Baby..." Paul sighed, sitting beside me and pulling me into his arms. "You can't be doing that. You could hurt yourself."

"I'll be okay." I sighed, peeking up at him. "Can you figure out where Jake and my sister are, please?"

"I'll try." Paul nodded.

"Thank you." I sighed softly. "I swear, she's just like our mother."

"How so, baby?"

"She's constantly needing to move." I shook my head. "She can't sit still to save her life. You're going to stay here tonight, right?"

"Absolutely." Paul nodded.

"I'm going to go shower and change." I sighed. "And then we can wait for Charlie to get home."

"Take your time." Paul nodded, pulling his phone out as I stood up. I headed up the stairs and took a quick shower, careful not to hurt my wrist. I got dressed in an old Forks High tee and a pair of shorts, placing the brace back onto my wrist before meeting Paul downstairs.

"Keep me warm." I shivered, climbing onto the couch beside him and wrapping a blanket around my shoulders.

"Come here." Paul muttered, wrapping his arms around me. I laid my head on his collarbone and sighed contentedly. "I know where Jake and Bella are."

"Where?" I asked, looking up at him.

"Jake's off blowing off steam in the woods." Paul sighed. "And, uh, Bella left."

"What do you mean, she left?" I questioned.

"Jake showed Sam his memory of Bella leaving with the small Cullen, uh-"

"Alice?" I supplied.

"Yeah, the one that sees the future, or whatever." Paul nodded.

"She can see the future?" I asked, eyes wide at the idea.

"Oh, right. I forgot you don't know the real them." Paul laughed lightly. "Yeah, she took Bella."

"At least she's... okay." I sighed. "Dad's gonna be pissed."

"Always something with your sister." Paul muttered.

"Hey." I said softly. "Are you okay?"

"I'm okay." Paul nodded. "I just- I feel bad about causing Harry's heart attack."