3

Personal Day

After an emotional weekend with my mother, I was eager to return to my normal. My father, ever in tune with my emotions, knew that something was off the second I walked into the house, and instantly put his full attention on me and my emotional issues. I told him what happened in Florida, and told him I didn't understand why Bella and my mother were so against my happiness.

He assured me that they couldn't form a good opinion on my relationships because they truly didn't know me. Bella had spent more time with the Cullens than me since she'd been back in Forks, and I hadn't spoken to my mother in eleven years. Hearing that reassurance from my father made me feel better about the situation, but I couldn't help but still feel hurt over the situation.

Because we came home early, Sam had asked Paul to help the pack with some business on the reservation. With a promise to stay home until tomorrow morning, Paul reluctantly dropped me off and sped off to the reservation. I made my father and I some dinner and we watched movies in the living room until we both fell asleep on the couches.

The next morning, after getting ready for school, Paul picked me up to drive me to school. I thought it was odd, but I didn't question it. He waited until we were on the main road to reach over and grab my hand, making me smile softly.

"Before you hear it from anyone else," Paul sighed, focused on the road. "Last night, the redheaded vampire we'd been tracking crossed the treaty line. The Cullens were chasing her on their territory, and the pack was chasing her on ours. During the chase, the big vampire-"

"Emmett." I supplied him the name.

"Emmett," Paul spat. "Leapt over the border. I took him down, but only to keep him from breaking the treaty. It was heated, but we're both okay. And the other vampire escaped."

"I'm glad you're okay." I smiled softly. "And I'm sorry she got away."

"You're not upset with me?" Paul asked.

"No," I shook my head. "You were doing what you do best; protecting the people you care for. Emmett should've been careful, but you were right to check him."

"I love you." Paul grinned.

"I love you, too." I smiled, scanning the parking lot of the school. "Is that Jake? And is that Bella getting on his motorcycle?"

"Jake wanted to make sure Bella was still human." Paul muttered, parking his truck across the lot. "And to warn Edward about his brother's mistake."

"Take me to the reservation, please." I sighed. "I'm texting my dad that I need a personal day."

"You can come hang out with the pack." Paul grinned, pulling his truck back onto the main road. "Leah and Seth have been asking about you."

"Seth still going to school?" I asked, playing with Paul's fingers.

"Yeah," Paul nodded. "Sam doesn't want him too mixed up in the wolf business just yet."

"Well, good." I sighed. "He's still so young."

"You're so caring." Paul mused. "I'm so lucky to have you in my life, Lena. And the pack is lucky to have you, too. They loved their sweaters, by the way."

"Good." I grinned. Paul shook his head as we pulled into Emily's makeshift driveway. He parked his truck and got out of the cab, racing around the truck to open my door for me.

"Come on." Paul said, excitedly. "They're all inside."

"Lena!" Sam greeted me first, pulling me away from Paul and into his warm embrace. "Glad to see you smiling after the weekend you had."

"Oh, let the girl breathe, Sam." Emily sounded, tugging me from Sam's arms. "Have you eaten? You want some chicken?"

"No, thank you." I shook my head.

"Thank God you're here." Leah's voice echoed through the house. "It's been so boring here without you."

"And by boring she means annoying." Embry snickered.

"Yeah, because none of you know when to shut up." Leah hissed, gently grabbing my hand. "Please, save me."

"They aren't that bad." I giggled, allowing her to pull me into Emily's living room. "But, I guess it's different for me because I don't have them in my head all the time."

"It's gross how much Paul thinks about you, honestly." Leah teased. "You're always on his mind, and then when you're here, all he can think about is how cute everything you do is."

"Well, I can't help it." I snickered. "I'm just adorable."

"Whatever." Quil muttered.

"Don't be mad, Quil." I rolled my eyes. "I'm sure someone out there thinks you're cute too."

"Very funny, Swan." Quil smirked.

"I've always been funnier than you." I quipped, giggling as he glared down at me.

"Whatever." Quil rolled his eyes, turning back to his food. Paul snickered at the boy, shooting me a grin.

"How's your mom?" I asked Leah, settling further down on Emily's couch.

"She's better, thanks to you." Leah offered me a small smile. "She won't shut up about you, honestly. And neither can Seth. I think he's in love."

"He's a sweet kid." I shook my head. "I'm glad you're all doing better."

"Don't think that gives you an excuse not to come over and make food." Leah snickered.

"I hear Jake." Quil announced, perking up. I furrowed my brow and shared a look with Leah, both rolling our eyes before following after the pack and Emily.

"I smell Bella." Leah sneered. I followed her outside, stopping between her and Quil as the pack laughed.

"Bella, this is Leah Clearwater." Jake introduced. "Harry's daughter."

"Hey." Bella greeted. "I'm really sorry about your father."

"If you're here to torture Jacob or Lena some more, feel free to leave." Leah snapped. She offered me a small smile before she turned and headed for the treeline. "See you later, Lena."

"Bye, Leah." I waved, making my way over to Paul.

"Fun, isn't she?" Jake teased.

"Jacob, leave her alone." I muttered, settling beneath Paul's outstretched arm.

"Bella, hi." Emily greeted brightly, pulling my sister into a hug. "I was wondering when we were going to see your face around here."

"Yeah, me too." Bella nodded.

"Sam, we good?" Jake asked.

"We're good." Sam nodded. "She won't be getting through our line any time soon. The guys cheered, racing past Sam and into the trees.

"Come on, baby." Paul grinned. "Let's go down to the beach."

"Sure." I giggled, ignoring the look of hurt that flashed across Bella's face as I hugged Emily. "See you later? We can make the guys some dinner."

"Have fun." Emily laughed, sending Paul and I on our way.