6

War of Words

"Hey, do you have a minute?" Bella asked as soon as I walked into the house. I dropped the bag Paul had given me onto the couch and turned to Bella.

"What's up, Bells?" I asked, looking at the scar forming on her forehead. "Did Jake not tell you how to work the clu-"

"You should stay away from Paul." Bella blurted, making me stop talking.

"What?" I questioned.

"Hey, Lena." Dad greeted, immediately clocking the hostility I had towards Bella. "What's going on?"

"Why are you letting Helena near Paul?" Bella asked, turning to look at our father.

"What?" Dad shook his head, looking between Bella and I. "Where is this coming from, Bells?"

"Jake says Sam's got this hold on Paul. And those other guys, uh-" Bella started.

"Sam is nothing but friends with Paul, Jared, and Embry." I defended the pack. "No one hangs out with Sam because he's some enigmatic cult leader like Jake thinks. Sam is highly respected on the reservation, not that you'd know, and he's a great friend to me. Paul is my boyfriend, Bella. I'm not just going to drop him because you and Jake think he's a cult member!"

"Oh, my God!" Bella groaned, waving her hand in my direction while looking at our father. "Can't you see how they've got their hooks into her? Aren't you worried for your daughter?"

"Bella." Dad sighed. "Sam is a nice young man, and so is Paul. What's going on with you?"

"Me?" Bella questioned, her eyes wide. "Helena could be in danger!"

"I'm not." I scoffed, picking up my bag from the couch. "I'll be up in my room."

"Lena." Dad called after me. "Don't go."

"No, dad." I huffed. "I don't even understand why Bella is all of a sudden deciding to be my sister! I spent months catering to her needs after her boyfriend- who I didn't like but kept to myself- left with his family. I never told Bella to keep away from Edward, I only told her that I was happy that she was happy. She's decided to invade my circles and try to tell me how to live my life, dad. I let her have her project with Jake, and I let them go out and test out those bikes on their own. I lost time with my boyfriend trying to keep Bella happy."

"Lena." Dad said softly, catching me in his arms as I cried softly. He wrapped his arms around me and held me tightly as I cried.

"I don't get it." I sniffled. "She comes back into town and I have to change how I live my life to cater to her needs. I'm tired, daddy. I've thrown this year away for her, and I've already got so much on my plate."

"It's alright, kiddo." Dad kissed my forehead, trying to swallow his panic. He never really knew how to react to my crying, especially because he's usually the one that gets me to stop crying. "Should I call Sam?"

"Really, dad?" Bella scoffed. "They're the ones that have her brainwashed. Don't you trust Jake?"

"I trust Billy, and I've only ever heard good things about Sam." Dad snapped, running a hand through my hair. "Don't pick a fight with her, Bella. She's been doing a lot to make sure you were okay these last few months."

"I'm going to go call Paul." I sniffled, pulling away from my dad's arms. "Can, uh, can I go stay with him for the night?"

"You'll go to school tomorrow?" Dad asked, shaking his head. "I'll call the school and tell them you're sick. I'll talk to Bella."

"I'll be in my room." I muttered, pulling my phone out of Paul's sweatpants pocket and dialing his number.

"Baby?" Paul answered immediately. I shut my bedroom door before I sighed, wincing at the shakiness in my voice. "What's wrong? Are you okay?"

"Bella," I cleared my throat, sitting on my bed. "She, uh we got into a fight."

"What happened?" Paul asked softly.

"Can you come pick me up?" I whispered. "I shouldn't drive right now, and, uh, I don't want to be here tonight."

"I'm on my way." Paul stated. "Talk to me, baby. What happened?"

"She wanted me to stay away from you." I explained, packing a new bag of clothes. "And she accused Sam of having this hold on the guys. She said that you and Sam have your hooks in me, and tha-"

"Calm down, baby girl." Paul soothed. "I'm almost at your house. Take a breath."

"It's like she doesn't realize how much she's put dad and I through, and how much I've been doing to try and keep her afloat. Paul, why can't she just be happy for me?"

"I'm outside, baby." Paul said. "I can hear your dad and Bella arguing. Do you want me to come in and get you?"

"No, Bella will flip out." I sighed, wiping my eyes. "I'll be down in a minute."

"Alright." Paul said. "I love you."

"I love you too." I smiled softly, hanging up the phone. I grabbed my backpack and headed back down the stairs. I tried to ignore Bella and my father, but Bella got in between me and the front door.

"Lena, I can't let you go anywhere with Paul." Bella sighed.

"Bella, please." I whispered. "I don't want to argue with you anymore."

"I can't let you leave with Paul." Bella said sternly. "He's not good for you, Helena. He has you defending him and his friends, and he's even got you picking fights at home! You were never like this before."

"Bella, you've been with mom our whole lives." I sighed deeply. "You don't know how I was before you came back. I have always been loyal to my friends, and to my family. But I can't stand by you right now because you're picking a fight with my best friends. They have been nothing but good to me, Bella. I don't know what kind of issue you have with them, but please don't pick a fight with me right now."

"They're not good for you." Bella huffed.

"And Edward wasn't good for you!" I exploded, hearing dad gasp from behind me. "Edward was possessive, and he was toxic! He convinced you to leave the state and drive home to Phoenix, where you fell out of a window, Bella! Edward was a danger to you, Paul and Sam will never hurt me the way Edward has hurt you."

"That's not fair." Bella argued weakly.

"No, what's not fair is that you're trying to ruin my relationships because you aren't happy." I shook my head. "Please move."

"Come on." Paul sounded, stepping into the house. Bella turned toward him, shooting a glare up at him. Paul ignored her, stepping around her and grabbing the bag from my hand. "Chief Swan."

"Paul." Dad nodded.

"Come on, baby." Paul coaxed softly, grabbing my hand. "The truck's warm, and I've got the night off."

"Be safe, Lena." Dad said, gently grabbing Bella's shoulder.

"Always." I whispered, following Paul out of the house. When the front door closed behind me, I wrapped my arms around Paul's torso and buried my face in his chest. "Thank you for coming."

"Let's go home, baby." Paul kissed the top of my head. "You can tell me about it if you want."

"I just want to go." I sniffled.