4

Broken

"You stayed." Bella said softly, her voice ringing like bells.

"I stayed." I nodded gently, feeling my heart ache with every move I made. "You needed me."

"Thank you." Bella said, offering me a small smile that didn't quite meet her blood red eyes. "Is there anything I can do to help"

"No." I shook my head. "It's not you I need. Have you seen her yet?"

"Not yet." Bella shook her head. "Edward wanted me to see you first."

"I'm going to be fine, Bella." I waved her off. "Go meet your daughter."

As Bella spun on her heel, a wave of pain and sadness washed over me. Moments later, the sound of Paul's howling filled the air.

"Come on." Leah sighed, nudging me gently. "Let's get you outside. Get you some fresh air."

"Okay." I nodded, allowing Leah to pull me off the couch and outside the Cullen's house.

"Lena, what can we do?" Leah frowned. "It feels... off that you're so upset."

"I don't know." I shrugged, frowning as Paul's howls grew louder. "He was going to kill Bella... and he was willing to kill my niece."

"He was following orders." Leah tried.

"That doesn't make it any better." I huffed. "I don't know if he can fix this. Either of them."

"Who, Sam?" Leah questioned.

"Yes, Sam." I nodded, placing a hand on my chest. "He's the one who put the idea out there. Paul made the choice to follow him."

"This is going to kill you both." Leah frowned. "I don't want to see you die next, Lena."

"I lived without Paul for seventeen years, I can handle not talking to him for a few more days." I stated.

"You can't, Lena." Leah shook her head. "The imprint bond already took place, you and Paul are linked together."

"Then it kills me." I sighed out. "I chose my family, Leah. And he did the same."

"You nicknamed my daughter after the loch ness monster?" Bella screeched, making me laugh slightly.

"I'll be inside." I told Leah.

====

Bella smiled weakly down at me. I turned my head and saw Edward smiling down at me.

"It's amazing." I mused, smiling softly down at Renesmee. "Your gift... I don't think I'll ever get over it."

Renesmee giggled, reaching up and showing me my soft smile. However, I could see that I was hurting beneath my smile. Luckily, Renesmee couldn't tell the difference.

"My turn." Jacob said, reaching over for Renesmee. Renesmee giggled again, this time reaching out for Jacob. I handed her off, getting more comfortable on the couch. "I'm not trying to push you, but when are you planning on going back to the res?"

"I have no reason to go to the reservation, Jake." I sighed. "I do think I should go home, though."

"I can take you." He suggested, watching me closely. "If you don't want to go alone."

"I'll be fine on my own, Jake." I said. "Besides, it would do me well to see my dad right now."

I said my goodbyes to the hospitable Cullens, making my way back home for the first time in four days.

"I know I said I liked the kid, but he can't be the reason you disappear for days on end." Dad said as soon as I walked into the house. I took a deep breath and turned to face my father, frowning as his face dropped. "What happened, Lena? Did Paul break up with you or something?"