2

Florida

The plane ride was pleasant, spent in a very comfortable seat beside Paul in first class. Edward and Bella were sitting behind us, and were constantly checking on Paul and I throughout the flight. It was a little annoying, but I was trying not to get angry with them. Paul kept a gentle hold on my hand throughout the flight, offering me smiles every time I glanced up at him.

When we touched down in Florida, I mentally prepared myself for seeing my mother again. I kept a firm grasp on Paul's hand as we walked through the airport, starting to regret accepting the plane ticket.

"Bella!" My mom's voice echoed through the airport. "Helena?"

"Hey, mom." Bella greeted, giving our erratic mother a hug.

"Oh!" Mom grinned, pulling away and looking at Bella. "It's so good to see you. Hi, Helena."

"Hi, mom." I greeted, hesitantly pulling my hand from Paul's to hug my mother. "Been a while."

"You grew up." She smiled sadly. "And who is that?"

"This is Paul." I smiled fondly, reaching for Paul's hand once more. "My boyfriend."

"Since when?" Mom questioned, leading us through the airport.

"Since December." Paul answered, giving my hand a squeeze.

"That's a long time." Mom hummed. "And what are your plans after graduation, Paul?"

"Well, I work on the Quileute reservation." Paul answered. "So, I'm probably going to continue my work there."

"You won't get too busy for Helena?" Mom asked, throwing a look over her shoulder.

"I'm never too busy for Lena." Paul grinned, tugging me under his arm. He pressed a kiss to my temple, making me blush deep red. "She's my number one priority."

"That's sweet." Mom smiled.

--------

The following day, the sun was beating down on the beach outside mom's new house. Mom and Bella were in the backyard sunbathing, Edward was inside hiding from the sun, and Paul and I were strolling down the beach together.

"I miss the cold." I told Paul, smiling softly as a wave rolled over my feet. "And the cliffs."

"Are you still having a good time, baby?" Paul asked, giving my hand a gentle squeeze.

"Yeah." I nodded. "But I'm ready to pack up and go home tomorrow morning."

"Any particular reason?" Paul hummed.

"I miss my dad." I murmured sheepishly.

"You're cute." Paul smirked, kissing my temple softly.

"And I want to give Em her new sweater." I grinned, turning and looking up at Paul. "You think the boys will like theirs?"

"You didn't have to get the guys anything." Paul sighed for the hundredth time.

"It gave me a reason to be out of my mom's house for longer." I shrugged, wrapping my arms around his neck. "And Jake would never forgive me if I didn't get him a souvenir he'll never need to wear because he runs the same temperature as you."

"I swear, you spoil that kid." Paul murmured, placing his hands on my hips.

"He's my best friend." I reminded him gently, leaning up on my tip toes to kiss him softly. "You better get used to it, baby."

"I love you." Paul smiled.

"I love you too." I grinned. "And I'm sorry."

"Sorry for wh-" I managed to catch Paul off guard and threw him into the oncoming wave, giggling as he stumbled and fell into the water. "Lena!"