1

Birthday Surprise

Going back to school was dreadful. Of course, I showed up early every morning, and stayed a little bit after school just to avoid having to talk to my sister and her boyfriend. I couldn't help but blame Edward Cullen for Bella's freak out, even though Bella quickly forgave him. Dad and I kept our distaste for Edward evident, and Bella avoided talking about him to us.

On the morning of my eighteenth birthday, my dad and best friend busted into my room noisily. I groaned when the weight of my best friend crashed down onto me.

"Why would you let him in here?" I whined, glancing at my clock. "You know I don't go to school on my birthday."

"Well, I needed a part for my car." Jake laughed, pulling me up.

"And I'm about to leave for work." Dad said, handing me an envelope. "A card came from your mother."

"Thanks dad." I grinned, taking the card.

"Happy birthday, kid." Dad laughed, leaving my room.

"Get dressed, Lena." Jake demanded. "You have to take me to the store."

"Get out." I sighed. "You're buying me food."

====

Jake was working on his car while I sipped on a milkshake. He'd asked me to take him to my school so he could give Bella a gift, so I told him to buy me a milkshake in return. When we got to Jake's house, Billy wished me a happy birthday with a wide grin.

"Hey, Lena." Sam sounded, stopping at the garage door. I looked away from Jake and sent the older boy a smile. I noticed Paul and Jared beside him as I stood up from the rolling stool. "Heard it was your birthday."

"Yeah." I nodded, putting my milkshake down. "Just turned eighteen."

"Happy birthday." Sam smiled, pulling me into a hug. I hugged him back with a sigh, feeling the warmth Sam was radiating.

"Thanks." I nodded. "Dude, how are you always so warm?"

"That's a secret." Sam smirked. "Can we borrow you for a few?"

"I don't know." I shrugged, shooting Jake a look. He raised an eyebrow at me before shooting a glare at Sam. "Jake?"

"It's your birthday, Lena." Jake crossed his arms over his chest, jaw clenched as he looked at Jared and Paul. "Do what you want."

"Sure, Sam." I rolled my eyes at Jake. "Ignore him, he's moody. Let me grab my milkshake and a sweater."

"Sure." Sam nodded, shooting Jake a look as I moved around the garage.

"You have your pepper spray?" Jake asked, handing me my sweater.

"Jacob." I hissed, glaring up at my best friend. He flinched slightly before letting his shoulders drop.

"Sorry, Lena." He apologized. "I don't know why they make me so angry."

"Drop it, Jake." I warned, grabbing my milkshake. "I mean it. When I get back you better be in a good mood or I'm going home."

"But your birthday dinner?" Jake muttered.

"If you're still upset when I get back, you can uninvite yourself from that." I decided, heading over to Sam. "Where we headed?"

"To the beach." Sam decided, throwing his arm over my shoulders. "Wanted to tell you something."

"Nice to see you, Jared, Paul." I snickered, looking over at the pair beside us.