5. Initiated

That night, Idrissa requested to converse with Lores. They walked up to an abandoned stable with Lores assisting the old man. They sat polar apart on the stale woods that were reposed disorderly. The moon was pale and the night breeze swirled like ghosts exploring nature.

"Why have you brought me here?" The anxious Lores finally asked the question that had been playing on his mind the moment he was called by the old mage.

"I have a lot to tell you. I'm ninety. If I don't tell you everything you need to know, I'll never rest in peace after I die."

"What do you have to tell me?" Lores' heart throbbed nervously as thoughts crossed his binary mind. One mind told him he knew why he was called while the other mind opposed.

"Do you know why we kept you in the dark for a long time?" The old mage asked, peering at the boy as if it was a compulsory question that he must answer. Lores was too nervous to reply. His gaze was glued to Idrissa in expectation for the mage to answer the question himself which he did.

"Before your dad left eighteen years ago, he stated that he wanted you to live a good and free life. He said if you didn't know much about your origin, you'll not be too unhappy. He entrusted your mum, Vicksen and I with your tutelage."

"Why are you telling me this all of a sudden?" Lores was unsatisfied. If he was going to know a lot tonight, then it should be from the scratch. He was itching to know the propellant of the discussion. The mage's gaze fell on Lores' sword which made Lores to suspect that his sword could be the major factor.

"That sword." The mage began, pointing at the weapon. "It was given to you by, according to Shawlunge, one of the most mysterious people walking the world. According to the trilogy text written by Shawlunge, there are three mysterious people namely, the wanderer, the sage and the ever living bodache. In his book, he also claimed that he had encountered the three of them. This claim led to a commotion in the mages' society." The mage got interrupted by a harsh habitual cough that erupted from his throat.

"First and foremost, who is Shawlunge. Secondly, why was his work controversial?" Lores found the chance to ask. Idrissa had a little illness that made him cough after talking for a while and Lores was used to it. The mage replied after recovering.

"Shawlunge was an ambitious mage scholar and explorer. The third mysterious person he claimed to have encountered was the cause of the controversy. Rumours have it that the ever living bodache resides in Deadland, a place where mortals cannot survive because of the poisonous magical aura contained in it. Other mage scholars heavily criticized his work, saying that he was trying to get attention by misleading the public." Idrissa paused and sighed before continuing. He was about to say the crux of the conversation.

"You happened to meet the wanderer at such a young age which shows that you've at least gotten a glimpse of the outside world. I will tell you what you need to know to strengthen your decision making. Three years before you were born, Liz invaded Solice. Your grandfather, King Larsen refused to surrender and managed to hold the kingdom for three years before it finally fell. The royal family was wiped out, save for your parents who were rescued by Vicksen."

"How did it fall?" Lores quizzed to pacify his ever growing curiosity.

"I lost to the archmage of Liz which led to the fall of our kingdom in the third year of the battle." The old mage stopped to see how Lores would react to this.

"You lost?" Lores' eyebrows hoisted in surprise. Idrissa was a powerful mage which meant that the person he lost to must be formidable.

"You seem surprised because you've not yet grasped the concept of magery. The knowledge you are about to obtain will test your determination. As far as magery is concerned, there are only two species of humans who can be it's practitioners. They are called the naturals and the attainers. The naturals are those born with the essence of magic while the attainers are those who are not born with magic but can attain the gift at a cost from the naturals. The attainers are very rare, thereby making them a unique specie. When you were newly born, your dad said he didn't care if you were either of these species. He only wanted what he thought was the best life for you; to live with a free heart." The cough relapsed, sending the mage to respite.