48. Seven, Where Are You?

Lores stood up, grabbed a long broom And started sweeping the house frontage. He freely swept with willingness, a super bright apathetic smile plastered on his face. The twitters of birds added a further touch to his perky mood. However, the environs brought along a long forgotten feeling. Lores halted, his gleeful smile percolated into a faraway one.

Nostalgia had attacked him.

What could his mother be doing right now? She could be probably watering plants or having breakfast. And Idrissa? The old mage had an up to scratch relationship with the patriarch. They would be probably conversing with the aspect of wise men. The villagers would be working on their farms by now. The kids would play around harmoniously.

Lores eyes shut as he drew out a sigh. It was one of the hitches that came alongside his mission, but he would not despair. He restored his previous mood and continued his work.

The elder who had been watching silently was able to sense the circumstances surrounding the boy he saved. He summed up the situation he found Lores in, together with the boy's adeptness in disclosing his identity at just a glance. He saw a boy who was particularly special, a boy who was trying to find his way in a turbulent world. The elder went back to stirring his broth.

The next day, Lores rose up early. He voluntarily arranged the house before going outside to chop firewood. Lores never believed that the sage was hardhearted. It may take time, but he believed that when the sage sees his enthusiastic performances, he will finally be impelled to accept him.

The world was tough by nature. It was an intense battleground where individuals combatted adverse circumstances, and even their destinies. The weak ones would be trampled while the survivors would share their experiences to the upcoming young ones who would dare to take the same path. They would memorize the vicissitudes; the happiness and sadness of life they had confronted. Nonetheless, for one to survive, they had to be strong. Lores was diligently working towards registering a positive massive impact in his life.

The event in Red Moth Village made him fully understand that the world had tough people in it. And for him to survive, he had to be tough himself for he realized he wasn't tough enough.

The elder came out to see Lores chopping firewood.

Such persistence.

The elder's impression of Lores grew but he did not reveal it.

"Boy, come and have breakfast."

Lores raised his head with a smile. "Right away, master."

Lores dropped the axe and gambolled after the elder. That morning, they had bamboo soup for breakfast. Lores noticed that the elder was a staunch vegan. Although, he was yet to be accustomed to the pungent smell of herbs, he still managed to wear a carefree smile while they were eating.

Lores viewed the elder freely eat. He ate his meal hastily and drank from his bowl with pleasure, giving no mind to any other thing. When he noticed he was the only one making sounds, his eyes fell on Lores who was occupied with surveying him. The boy had a gentle smile of stupidity on his face. Without giving a damn, he looked away to go on with his meal.

"Master, why do you love herbs so much?" Lores asked as he dug into his meal.

"Who's your master?" The elder shot without batting an eyelid. He maintained his demeanor of eating his meal with enjoyment, as if Lores just said nonsense.

"You of course!" Lores was undaunted, sporting an apathetic smile. The elder had to suspend his meal. He drew out a sigh of disinterest, his face blank.

"Boy, it seems you're out of your mind."

Lores chuckled without feeling offended.

"Master, how did you know? I'm truly out of my mind. That's why I need your guidance to straighten it."