43. A New Ally

In a certain village, the environs were eerily quiet. The dank wind howled as if fierce spirits were whispering.

The inauspicious ambience could be smelled.

Inside a slightly desolate building, a menacing figure in a black cowl could be seen stabilizing the efficacy of a formation spell in front of him with his essence energy. Grey aura issued from the formation as it slowly revolved.

The figure watched the formation with gratification. Suddenly, his visage split into a devilish grin like an incubus-filled nightmare. His grin further intensified into fits of bone-chilling laughter which carried croakiness with it. It was an old man!

"Ha...ha...ha...ha." The old man's drawled laughter transmitted an evil energy, capable of stimulating cold sweats from anyone who heard it.

He was the living epitome of the pale rider taking souls to the afterlife.

"I have the forbidden formation and the life force (essence) of those petty humans. If I lay my hands on the Dragon Flintstone, I'm not far from becoming the strongest there is. Ha...ha...ha." The old fellow bragged with lit up eyes, his croaky voice threatening and otherworldly.

Not too faraway was a woodshed imprisoning hundreds of villagers. They were all lamenting for help but all their pleas fell on deaf ears. Every sound heard from the building made the poor villagers shudder. A powerful barrier prevented them from even thinking of making an escape.

Inside the building, a lady wearing a black cloak and holding a sword who had been watching the formation with glee suddenly spoke to the old man.

"Congratulation my Lord, we are on the verge of taking back what was stolen from the Snowils." The lady smiled, feeling mutually connected to the immense joy obtained from the feasibility of their conspiracy.

"Congratulation?" The old man tilted his head as if trying to fathom the meaning of the word. "Your congratulation can wait until we have gotten the Dragon Flintstone."

"Yes." The lady respectfully lowered her head.

A moment later, a group of about ten men entered the not-too-large hall. They knelt on one knee before the menacing old fellow. Their Leader reported.

"My Lord, we reached as far as the mountains in the west, we search the forests but there was no sign of the Dragon Flintstone."

"What?" The old fellow's face turned bone-chilling. "Do you mean that the Dragon Flintstone is just a tale of fable?"

The men trembled, their eyes trained on the floor.

"I dare not make that assumption." Their Leader responded.

"You're all good-for-nothing." The old fellow in a moment of rage palmed in their direction. A blast of energy repelled the men, and fiercely threw them midair.

-

Prince Mo stood leisurely in his courtyard feeding a caged parrot. He watched with a tender smile as the parrot ate with relish from his hand.

Few minutes later, Hilbwet showed up. His face was stoic as usual. He had a very important matter to report to Mo after completing the mission assigned to him.

"Your highness, a mine has been spotted in Prince of Holm's fief in the western part of the capital." Prince Mo imagined for a while. The king owned all the lands, so it was a serious crime to not report the discovery of a mine. Every year the king would carry out the land redistribution canon among the gentry under the supervision of the Suzerains.

"Second brother is really daring. He thinks he's smart but he's playing with fire. How long is he going to cover up that mine?" Mo rhetorically questioned.