14. Exclusive Tavern (1) - The Riddle Contest

Jerman and Lores were strolling with bright faces. They were orgasmic with the success of the hunt, and more importantly, the reward that was given to them.

"What's your next plan?" Lores asked his companion. The job had been done. It was time to focus on individual plan. Jerman slightly turned his head in a thoughtful fashion. In the end, he couldn't really think of anything else he would do.

"Well, I will keep on roaming the world. There are a lot of things that I'm yet to see." Facing Lores with a super bright expression, he echoed.

"And you? What's your next plan?" Lores was still not willing to disclose his intention. He glanced earthward, thinking of a fair lie to feed his companion.

"Hm, I'll look for something doing to make a living."

"Okay." Jerman nodded. He placed a hand on Lores' shoulder, lips parting to reveal his teeth. "It was nice to cross path with you again. If fate permits, we will still see each other."

Lores nodded while smiling with hidden lips. The two boys separated thereafter. Lores continued his journey alone with gaysome steps. He kept tossing the bag of money upward and catching it expertly. Suddenly, the side of his eyes captured a white horse that fleeted to the left of a junction. He paused, darting his gaze to the orientation but the horse was out of sight.

"It must be that prince's horse!" He gasped and went after it without thinking. He chased as fast as his feet could carry him but the horse kept sprinting beyond his view. The rider was in the same dark blue robe and with the way he was speeding, he seemed to have an urgent matter to attend to.

Lores got to a particular street, swivelling his body in a curious search mode but it was as if the horse had disappeared from the mortal world with no trace of it to be found. Lores stood puzzled by the mysterious
turn out. Why would the prince be in a hurry? Why wasn't he with his fanatical escorts? Could he be in an acute situation? And then; how come he had vanished all of a sudden?

While he was racking his brain to find a convincing explanation, he unconsciously set his eyes on a magnificent tavern with a calligraphy that read 'exclusive' outlined on a plaque at its top.

He recollected that prior to his encounter with Jerman, the prince had recently stopped there. Could it be that he vanished into the tavern? On impulse, Lores carried his feet toward the structure to find out for himself.

Exclusive tavern was the most magnificent tavern in the capital. It was made of the finest cedars which were affixed together through a dowel joint, and it stood more than twenty feet high.

It was beyond doubt, a place of social gathering for the rich. The outlook of the tavern's periphery alone was undeniably intimidating to the average man as luxurious carriages with coachmen and servants waited outside with uncompromised patience.

Men clad in expensive raiments sipped wine from golden cups. They chatted jovially, reveling in the intense atmospheric luxury derived from their get together. They were either nobles or wealthy merchants who were of top calibre in the society. It wasn't as if commoners were restricted from ingressing the tavern, but there was no point in desiring to be in a place where you wouldn't be able to afford even the lowest quality of wine.

On the ground floor, a haughty young scholar dressed in turquoise robe with a fan gallantly in his hand which he waved back and forth was saying a story to those who cared to listen. His hair was neatly tied in a bun, a jade hairpin complimenting it.

"In the west, there is a mysterious place called Deadland where humans cannot access. Not everyone knows about this place but it indeed exists. If man can keep studying, many things will be gradually revealed. In that mysterious place, there is a mysterious creature inhabiting there. Owing to the fact that humans cannot survive there, some scholars have deduced that Deadland may be the boundary between the mortal realm and the underworld. That place...."