38. Progress?

The curfew imposed on the princes finally came to an end. One month passed like a foam of the wave. The princes could freely go on with their activities.

Mo was summoned to the palace. He took his escort guards with him while he rode on his beautiful white steed. Hilbwet was sent on a mission hence Lores rode upfront with him.

The ride to Ripplesky palace was a quiet one until Lores finished his train of thoughts after contemplating for an untold amount of time.

"Your highness, if it's not too much to ask, can you tell me about House Of Berath?"

"House Of Berath is a private institution owned by the king. They take personal orders from the king. They work separately from the military force." Mo easily answered without a hint of suspicion. With this information, Lores confirmed the verisimilitude of what Joanne told him.

"If that's the case, those arrested by the king will be held in House Of Berath."

"Mmm." Lores swallowed before asking his next question.

"So...where is this House Of Berath?" Mo quizzically tilted his head, eyelids fluttering twice as if a spell has been lifted from him.

"Seven, are you investigating the royal court?" Lores widened his eyes in alarm, making a frightful face.

"I don't dare."

When they arrived in the palace, Mo was taken by an attendant to the western zone where he saw his father sitting on a small stool, fishing on a pond. His eunuch holding a horsetail whisk was by his side.

When Mo arrived, a maid brought a stool with which he sat close to his father after paying respects.

"Father seems to be in a good mood today." Mo said with a smile.

"Haha. Sometimes, it is necessary to take a break from state affairs. Archery is not only my avocation. Back then, your grandfather used to fish on this pond. He taught me how to fish."

"It seems you lived a serene life before the rebellion of Gusloe." Mo masked his sadness with a smile.

"If  your father was so good to you, why haven't you shown such warmth to me."

King Elead chuckled. "You can say that."

Mo gazed at the pond. It was as clear as crystal. Flame angelfishes could be seen swimming leisurely. Suddenly, he stared at the pool in pure confusion. After an unclear amount of time. King Elead's voice woke him from his state of ponder.

"Son, you must be wondering why nothing was attached to the point. It does seem like I'm building a castle in the air, right? Hahaha! After all, what's the essence of using a fishhook if not for catching the unlucky fish?"

"Don't you think a shredded lettuce or something should be attached to the point? If you continue like this, you're going to stay here till the day ends." Mo explained meaningfully. King Elead lingered for a certain period of time. He began to explain carefully.

"Attaching a shredded lettuce to the hook like you said would surely help in winning the attention of the fish. But what happens after that? The fish becomes vulnerable to the fisher. The substance of attention becomes a bait. I don't need to tell you how it all ends."

Mo's expression turned deeply thoughtful. It wasn't his father's style to sit with an empty hook and spill empty words. In reality, King Elead was subtly relaying a crucial message. Mo was smart enough to read the profound meaning of his father's words.

Mo was the fish, the shredded lettuce was exclusive tavern while the fisher was the king. The capability to move the shredded lettuce at will symbolizes the monopoly of the king. If Mo keeps holding on to the lettuce which is the central of attraction of both the fish and the fisher, he ends up becoming vulnerable.