19. Snowfall Palace

"Follow me."

Lores did as instructed by his new superior. They left the drawing room and got to an alley that was bordered by rows of beautiful osmanthus flowers. Motionless guards, steeled in black armours arrayed along each side. They were knights of the Black Iron Cavalry that were officially issued to the prince.

Sheen, stout buildings gallantly appealed to the eyes, the quality of their furnitures radiating with glory. A bridge arced over a lake with magnolia leaves floating like swans on it.

The picturesque view of the gardens already presented the clue that Mo was a naturalist. Cooing pigeons invaded, feeding on plants. The land received heat and daisies peeped through the pea-green grass. Surrounding magnolia trees further adorned the environment. Prince Mo's Snowfall palace was scenic and breathtaking. He was a self-reliant person who liked to mind his business, hence he didn't reside in Ripplesky palace like his brothers. King Elead had granted him permission to live alone and away from the royal family.

Once Prince Mo and his company got to the alley and began to walk through it, the knights ducked their helmeted heads in reverence to the prince. They remained like that till the prince left the alley.

While they were walking, Lores observed the environs with intense introspection. They said he was a prince, but he wasn't even born in the palace. In fact, it was the first time he saw what a palace looked like. Indeed, the fates of people are predetermined before their births. The misfortune that befell his kingdom already confirmed his uneasy life that would be, at least, up to par when he finds his father.

The prince noticed the pensive state of Lores, but for the sake of not being a pryer by nature, he asked something else.

That seemed as if he was prying anyway.

"You left your village and made your way to the capital. I suppose you came for greener pastures." He said as they walked through the alley. Lores could only agree to Mo's thought. That was the best option.

"You didn't guess wrong, my prince."

"You know, you are lucky to have secured a job under me, and I suppose you know what that means. Nothing else but loyalty and competence is what is required from you."

Lores sighed in his heart. If the prince should by chance learn of his unfavourable intention, he would probably lose his head before he even got to see his father. Nobody was needed to tell him that he needed to be diplomatic as long as his operations with the prince's affairs were concerned.

"I'm fully aware." The prince silently acknowledged the allegiance. They had been walking, making him to ponder where the hell Mo was taking him to. On instinct, he sorted for clarification after covering an undeterminable distance on foot.

"May I ask where we are going to?"

"My palace may not be so big. I still need to take you around the relevant places you ought to be familiar with."

They got to a space where some guards were honing their skills with intense training. As expected and not surprising to the eyes, his personal escorts were the ones in charge of the session. Lores or Seven wouldn't serve as an escort guard due to the fact he would work from the street once he received an order or instruction.

Immediately they saw Mo, they paused their exertions and saluted with the words. "Your highness." Coming out asynchronously from their mouths before going back to work. Prince Mo was seen and given the respect behooving a general ever since the bronze seal was given to him.

"This place is the training zone. As a guard, this is the first place you should know. You may come here to hone your skills in the future." He threw Lores a glance, eyes lowering to his sword. Lores was busy blinking anxiously. After observing for some time, he said with a calm voice.

"My men told me that you are capable. I'd love to see how capable you are." Lores smiled nervously, holding his hilt as if protecting his sword from being snatched by the prince.

"Why not spar with me and make your judgement?" Mo looked away, face becoming undecipherable. He wasn't very skillful in swordsmanship. During his childhood, he'd learnt music, archery, inconsiderable fraction of swordplay and other princely things. Instead of tilting at windmills, he would accentuate on his reverential status.

"How daring of you to ask for a spar with the prince. Your boldness is quite unbelievable." Seven swallowed involuntarily, shaking his head inwardly.

"It's more easier to talk to a goat than to relate with this prince."

"My prince, what offence have I committed?"

"Disregarding appropriate formalities."

"Yes, I understand. You're the superior. I am the follower." After speaking, he crossed his arms and began to watch the busy guards. As for whether that was an apology or not, Mo couldn't tell. He just took it as one of Lores' brazen attitudes. Placing a hand on his back, he gestured for one of his escort to come with the other.

"Boln."  Boln came in no time.

"Yes, your highness."

"Let's try our new recruit." Lores was startled, eyes drifting frantically from the prince to the escort and back to the prince again. Before he could process what was going on in his front, Boln, without batting an eye to the situation of Lores, gestured for him to go to the centre of the training zone.

"Please"

"I'm only on my first day but he wants to see me inside out. Not only that, he's too bossy. I wonder how long I am going to endure all of this..." Lores was murmuring in his head as he ambled to the designated area. In a warlike nation like Liz, skilled swordsmen were usually valued and recruited into the army.  This was one of the reasons the neighbouring countries had to think twice before waging war against Liz.

The guards sidelined to watch the spar with expectancy. The two duelers drew out their swords. With the way Boln was staring, Lores thought it was a serious business.  He didn't care if he lost the spar. He would only try the best in his capacity.

While he was mustering morale, Boln lunged at him with swift steps, sword whistling in the air as he made a turning strike. Lores' eyes followed quickly, striding backwards to avoid the attack. Boln stood suddenly. Being a very observant person, he had noticed that his opponent had creditable reflexes. He would come in full spree next.

Lores regained his stance, sword stretched to the side, eyes focused in acuity. A reaching sword pierced through air. Lores body-swerved whirly and gave his opponent a stroke on the shoulder with his hilt. After that exertion, Boln took two steps back, disbelief fleeting across his eyes. Then all of a sudden, he deadpanned his face.

In a rush, a galore of blows followed. The strength exerted on each carried the anger of a gusty wind. It was as if Lores had stolen his wife from him or something. Lores wedged and parried as each blow came without mercy. At a time, they locked their swords and swirled it here and there. It happened that their grips were firm as nobody's sword fell off.

The spectating guards were bewildered at the skillfulness of Lores. None of them could fight head-on with Boln for such a long time. Who could have thought that a new guard on his first day would exceed expectations?

Prince Mo stood with one arm crossed, the other hand holding his chin. An involuntary smile had been playing in his face. When he realized it, he straightened his face immediately. Lores, indubitably, was an advantageous add to his faction.

The two who were exchanging sword blows refused to get to their knees. After an unclear amount of time, Boln disoriented Lores with his rapid moves. Finding a shortcoming, he clouted his opponent's midriff with his fuller. Lores staggered three steps back. Boln was quite a determined man. He never relented till he made the spar fair and square.

The duelers sheathed their weapons. Lores found himself smiling at his opponent for no reason. Boln only curt nodded with a blank expression. Though it didn't make way to his face, he was deeply impressed with Lores' proficiency in martial arts.

A continuous clap was coming from where the prince stood after which his mood became thoughtful.

"Is your village foundable upon swordsmanship? Your teacher is no doubt an expert." Lores thought briefly before giving a diplomatic response.

"I come from a humble background of people who like putting effort in what we do. What you saw recently was a matter of diligence."