10. Departure

The trio were mounted on their horses, speeding to the north. The fiery sun unleashed it's scorching glow unyieldingly on the properties of nature. In this circumstance, it would be reasonable for one to deduce that the sun god, if one exists, wasn't in a cheerful mood at all.

The very familiar eyes streaking tears and the bear hug were the last things Lores got from his mother before he departed. Passing through the boulevard of pitch darkness and uncertainty, Lores envisioned a tint of light and hope.

He was leaving his small unrecognized village to a recognized and powerful kingdom he knew little or nothing about. His brazen agenda of getting into the palace dungeon seemed like a fairy tale that could be miraculously achievable.

Joanne, on the other hand, was determined to succour her brother no matter the cost. Even her dad couldn't quell her resolution. After putting the closeness between the two unrelated siblings into consideration, he gave in to his daughter's get around. Apart from their closeness and based on personal opinion, he saw the outside world as a place his daughter should not fail to experience, not in her whole life. And with the company of his skillful mate - vicksen- and her adored brother he felt at ease.

It is and will not be ever possible for Vicksen to stay behind while Lores charged at danger. Being the loyalist of the latter's dad, the loyalty and fidelity that was attributed to his then superior had been deputed to the lionhearted youth without reserve.

The trio rode relentlessly as if they were being trailed by ghosts. Several miles away from Vatmos, they plunged into the deepest forest, and then finally into an expanse where the sun blazoned its bar to the world in full strength without any obstruction from the canopy trees.

Fortunately and happily, a lake cooking warm from the severe bath of the sun came to view. At this point, no seer was needed to tell the travellers that if they don't chill out to preserve energy, they'd be miserable corpses before they even got to the city gate.

They stopped in front of the lake to enable their horses quench their thirsts. They dismounted from their horses, and without sparing a second, they snatched the waterskins attached to their horses and haggardly glugged the content like thirsty beggars.

"If we continue with this speed, we will get to Liz in seven days time." Vicksen lolled to the ground, catching his breath. He seemed to be more drained than the horses that did the actual race. Lores spared Vicksen a glance while attempting to refill his waterskin from the lake.

"Seven days? That's quite a long time....and a short one so to speak." Lores was unsure of his judgement. The unforseen adventure awaiting him in a foreign land, the fresh joy that came at the thought of seeing his father but suddenly dwindling when the difficult process to achieving that was put into consideration all collided into a surreal combination of nervousness, happiness and sadness that enshrouded his heart.

"This journey will not be an easy one. We started off today in high spirits but now we're already flushed due to the weather." Vicksen was saying this with a whimsy tone carrying accusation. He brought his gaze to Lores. "You chose such a bad time to travel. Assuming we were weak commoners, we would've fainted for like three times before we even got to this lake. You have to learn how to be bright and calculative like your mentor when making decisions."

It was a funny joke, so Lores did not hold back his laughter. Vicksen must have mustered a little strength to begin to joke around.

"Sir 'bright and calculative' you're very free to return to Vatmos if this journey is too unbearable for you. Before you agreed to follow me, why didn't you foresee this circumstance and prevent us from traveling? Instead, you followed me like a moron. What a pity! I'd rather be a novice than to be 'bright and calculative' as you." Once Lores finished his thought, joanne tittered.