33. The Archery Contest (4) - The Second Phase

It was finally time for the second tier of the contest. Ten individuals mounted on horses arrayed horizontally on the prairie. After the drum was sounded, they dashed forward with their bows and arrows. The second tier, alias first to hit the bullseye had lesser rules and more intensity.

These ten contestants would have to secure their spots in the final round. There were three targets arranged in different directions which meant that only three contestants could be lucky enough to make it.

The reason for the high margin cut down was to elicit an overall ace out of aces. It emphasized the will and desire people had to come out the best of all. Neighs and 'hyahs' once again engulfed the atmosphere. They slapped the reins on their horses relentlessly. Since it was based on stamina and the rules were fairly lax, contestants were permitted to physically hamper themselves with their strengths and not arrows. The permissive impediment did not in anyway call for bloodshed.

Lores shot his arrow when he found space but it was intercepted by Karick's projectile. The second prince smirked. The rivals were all hampered by one another in the same way, such that the ultimate goal became to cut down the numbers. At this point, only those with brilliant horsemanship could survive.

The contestant riding beside Karick, as if he was telepathic knew what the second prince was up to. Everyone would surely struggle to see that they made it to the final stage, ergo he would not lose without a fight. He bent forward, then rose with a swinging elbow. However, Karick was nimble enough to evade the blow. While his body was almost parallel to the ground, he reached for the tibia of the contestant's horse and shoved it with his forearm.

Control was lost.

The shoved horse was abruptly agitated. It gave a loud protestive neigh, then mercilessly threw off its rider.

Karick returned at one hundred and eighty degrees unscathed. He exclaimed in pleasure, and then laughed haughtily.

Berg went for his closest rival and attempted to eliminate him. His rival was likewise quick-witted. He tried to use his bow to bash Berg's head in one deadly swoop. However, Berg caught the bow, then skillfully used the bowstring to temporarily 'maim' his rival's hand.

A protestive groan and a subsequent alteration of his grip made the rival let go of his reins which allowed berg to gain absolute control. Instead of shoving off his rival, Berg rather had an interesting idea. He dragged at the reins, horse going off course as a result. It collided with an oncoming galloping horse. The outcome was productive as two contestants in togetherness with their horses flumped to the earth.

Unending neighs, long and vehement triggered a nuisance, specks of dust rising towards the sky.

Berg revealed his usual lopsided smirk, tasting the satisfaction of his sophisticated trick.

While the joust was going on, Childe Santiago who was observing from a safe angle tried to judiciously use the tumult to his own advantage. However, Laurene was quick to point out Santiago's egoistic plan. She quickly shot an arrow that slightly touch that young duke's own, but it successfully altered its orientation. The arrow did hit one of the central rings but not the bullseye.

The young duke sighed with a frustrated look crossing his face. He was met with her I-won't-let-you-win look. Meanwhile, another rival had taken advantage of the little distraction thinking that as a girl, she should be easier to take down. He swung his forearm to hit her breastplate with brute force.

Laurene darted her gaze, pulling at the reins in the nick of time, her horse forcefully leaping at an incredible height; almost at one hundred and eighty degrees.