49. Overhaul

House Of Berath

The superintendent, House Master Helione sat facing his head table, going through some documents. Several important books were sprawled on his table, prompting a perception of a very busy and diligent official. His advisor stood at his side, upholding absolute quietness.

Helione's henchman was his advisor who would obey any order, irrespective of the consequences. The advisor seemed unsettled with the way he nervously looked at the documents handled by the superintendent. He defied the silence few minutes later.

"Sir, if it is as what our spies have reported, then we have a huge problem. Prince of Nan would have died in Red Moth Village but an unknown mage intervened, leading to the surmounting of Snowil's mages. Our ploy may have been uncovered."

Helione was indeed troubled, but he tried to convince himself with a groundless positivity.

"I don't think we've left any loopholes. Even if the mages of Snowil were surmounted, it doesn't prove that we are accomplices to the failed revolt. All evidences will point at the eastern region." Helione said with a messy composure. He acknowledged and feared the shrewdness and unknowable mind of the king. House Of Berath came second to the king in the hierarchy of authority, so Helione had the leverage to effect some underhanded tricks under the nose of the king. He wished for his devious deeds to remain concealed.

The advisor still had some misgivings regarding the issue. His expression was severely perturbed.

"What if Prince Of Nan finds out our ploy? The mages of Snowil are nowhere to be found while the king eliminates us. Sir, We are at a disadvantage."

Helione shot his advisor a stern look. "Why are you so pessimistic? Look at you fidgeting just by making mere assumptions. You better snap out of those nonsensical thoughts of yours." Helione scolded. The advisor immediately assented remorsefully by rigidly lowering his head.

"Yes sir."

Eunuch Neeman chose to enter that very moment, barging in with two other palace attendants under his authority. His face showed a harmless smile, but it was far from being convincible.

Helione and his advisor exchanged a glance before the latter stood up to welcome the envoy from Ripplesky Palace.

"Ah, Distinguished envoy." Helione bowed. His advisor followed suit. Eunuch Neeman smiled in acquiescence before spreading open the yellow scroll in his hands.

"Hear the royal edict." He voiced with a potent tone. Helione and his advisor instantly knelt down in submission to the authority of the sovereign. Eunuch Neeman went ahead to read the scroll.

"The current superintendent of House Of Berath has rendered meritorious deeds to the Freydor dynasty. Historic-wise, his part in the restoration of the great dynasty will be known by all and sundry. Nevertheless, the official matters of the institution have become too tedious to handle nowadays. As a good friend of the superintendent, I am willing to share his burden by alleviating his worries. Henceforward, Marquis Zilot will be the chief superintendent of House Of Berath, and is expected to resume his duty immediately."

As soon as the eunuch finished reading, a man wearing an official robe stepped inside. He audaciously walked over to the sandalwood table, sat on Helione's seat and began to go through the documents without further ado.

Helione nearly collapsed when he heard the edict. A complex combination of humiliation and despondence stemmed inside of him. He was so dispirited. He had done everything seeking for promotion but he got demoted instead. It was typical of King Elead to be sarcastic. It had been validated that the king must have known of his involvement. The seemingly goodwilled act was actually a potent punishment meted out by diplomatic means. It was all pretentious!