30. The Archery Contest (1)

The archery contest was a ceremonious event held occasionally in Liz. It was a grand occasion that required the king himself to be present. This grand event was usually attended by nobles, patrons and even courtesans. Indubitably, the contest was a lively and entertaining one that everyone anticipated.

Basically, the reason for the significant attendance from individuals from various high ranking professions and class was for the purpose of making vital connections; a crucial aspect that summarizes how paramount an event like the archery contest cannot be treated as inferior. Promotions, marriages, business partnership and so on were all encapsulated in the event.

For the princesses or young girls of noble birth, it was an avenue to swoon at the guys they've long admired and don't get to see often. Meanwhile for some, it was an unparalleled chance to view their crushees with their naked eyes as they had only swooned at their portraits and composites.

The history of the archery contest dated back from the apparent post-nomadic period to the historic nomadic epoch when nomadic kings ruled the kingdom of Liz several years ago.

The competition was made up of at least no fewer than twenty contestants. The aristocratic families who wanted to participate would present a memorial containing the names of their representatives to the king. In the end, representatives from high ranking officials were selected while a raffle draw called the shot for the remaining. However, the princes were exceptional to this rule owing to the fact that they were the chief participators.

The competition was comprised of three tiers. The first tier composed of horse racing and archery, the second tier was also known as first to hit the bullseye of which stamina was a prerequisite, and the third tier which was the determiner of the winner. In the third tier, three rings through which an arrow must go through were suspended horizontally in front of the target. Here, accuracy was a prerequisite for the aimers. When all is said and done, the winner would be awarded with a golden bow by the king.

The contest was usually held in a vast grassland more than enough to accommodate both the spectators and contestants. The expectant atmosphere and eagerness on the faces of people was worth the while till the winner emerged.

On this auspicious day, the blazing midday sun glittered relentlessly on the grassland, the earth shimmering in the heat of it. The midday sun bathed the pitched tents in its warm light, creating a conducive and cooperative atmosphere.

Prior to the commencement of the contest, people began to exchange pleasantries among friends and acquaintances. They chattered, laughed and introductions were made with gaiety.

Mo led Lores from their tent to meet other nobles some of which were participating in the contest. Lores had opinionated that the code of conduct of the contestants would impact their performance in the contest.

They got to where a youth stood leisurely staring at the sky with folded arms. His long dark brown hair secured with a hairpin was neatly combed, and a white flute was attached to his clothing. He seemed not to have observed the duo as he was devotedly watching the blue sky as if there was a big screen up there. Mo called him back to reality.

"Childe Santiago." The youth shot Mo a sharp gaze, eyes glistening upon realization. He quickly bowed in respect. Santiago was once Mo's music mate when they were kids. But as the years went by, they barely met each other until their relationship gradually evaporated. Not that they beared grudges against each other. They just had different paths to follow but providence had ultimately made them cross paths again.

"Greetings, your highness." Mo tapped his shoulder and said with a gentle voice.

"Drop the red tape. How have you been?" He asked, placing his hands behind.