6. Liz

Liz was a northern realm ringed by three other provinces and the hinterland. The provinces were namely Tretsh, Southern Mirpurt and the already fallen Solice. In the concrete, in terms of military strength and political advancement, these provinces were inferior to Liz. As a matter of fact, Liz was a suzerain state to the existing vassal states who paid tributes.

It was the 37th year of the reign of King Elead Freydor, the sovereign prince of Liz. It was barely four decades ago when the Freydors regained the crown. Liz had been previously ruled by up to seven dynasties culminating in the intense political vie among the royalties. The Freydors had structures like House of Berath and the Dragon Corsairs which constituted their sovereignty as a major challenge to the ambitious royal members.

In Ripplesky palace, the privy councilors and other ministers assisted the king in running the government of the nation.

In the royal court, the king was sitting majestically on his throne with a golden crown adorned on his head. The privy councilors and the princes were present while a seer prophesied in front of the king. The seer eyes were sharp like a kid who descried a monster. He gazed skyward as he narrated what he saw.

"On the north hill stood a beautiful house that was glittering with glory. Sadly, there came a vigorous east wind that tottered the beautiful house and eventually toppled it in ruins. The doom of Liz is around the corner."

When he finished speaking, an unrest ensued in the royal court. The councilors were murmuring among themselves.

"Be at ease everyone." The domineering voice of the king rang through the disturbed ambience. Instantly, a deafening silence ruled the royal court.

"You may dismiss yourself." The king released the seer. After the seer left the hall, the king presented a question to his subordinates.

"Who recommended that man here?" He voiced with authority but his eyes could tell that he was worried. Elead was one who had a kingly demeanor. He barely showed any sign of weakness which earned him great worship from his subordinates. The lieutenant governor bowed and responded.

"The archmage." King Elead sighed in his heart as he tried to phantom the specific direction which the said doom would come from.

"Raincut is the metropolis of Eastern Liz. Could this doom be coming from there?" A councilor bowed respectfully before airing his view.

"Your Majesty, the archmage is old and paranoid. Liz has been unprecedentedly established under your reign. We don't have to depend on soothsaying to
draw a conclusion concerning the future of Liz. It's possible that that doomsayer may have been arranged by one of those power hungry men in order to cause chaos and seize the throne."

Once he finished speaking, another councilor paid his respects and voiced out.

"Your Majesty, I do not agree with my colleague. The archmage is instrumental to the prosperity of Liz. Moreover, he is the state preceptor. There is no way he could fool you." He snapped his head to the councilor who spoke first. "The seer was recommended by the archmage. Are you saying that the archmage has betrayed the king and is now in cahoots with our adversaries?"

The latter roused in alarm.

"I didn't say so. I was only insinuating." He said to purge himself. Yet another councilor stood on ceremony and related his view.

"Your Majesty, I concur with my colleague. Since the seer was recommended by the state preceptor, the divination should not be overlooked. The castle of Everdusk in Raincut is the property of the Dawcane dynasty. Right from time, the princes have been clamoring for its acquisition. Our line of action should start from there."