42. Remarkable Outing

"This one is just a lowly scholar."

Lores carried his face down with a secret smile. Prince Of Nan was apparently deigning himself to the level of a random lowly scholar. However, he was elated with the way Mo freely communed with the common folks.

"Don't be too polite. I'm also a lowly scholar like you. You're knowledgeable with enviable magnanimity."

"The compliment is reciprocal. I wish you a becoming career in officialdom."

"Many thanks."

As they were leaving the teahouse, Lores finished his thought.

"The Prince Of Nan is not only endowed with esteem but also very knowledgeable."

"Do you now idolize me?" Mo teased.

"The only person I idolize is myself." Lores bragged following a wry snort of mockery.

"That's pompous of you." Lores threw Mo a doubtful glance. "Look at the kettle calling a pot black." Meanwhile, Mo was completely oblivious of Lores' attempt to take the huge blow. He continued talking.

"Do you know what it takes to become like me? Becoming like the prince of Nan is not so cheap. It's just that you can't probably afford it yet." Now it was difficult to tell who was really pompous. Lores deduced that Mo's name was lacking completion. It should've been Prince 'Pompous' Mo.

Lores resignedly complied. In the game of pride, he could not be compared to Mo. He responded with complete resignation.

"It is an honour to serve the esteemed Prince Of Nan." Mo just smiled pleasantly.

"Seven, let's retrieve the jade pendant before that criminal runs away with it."

Lores was keen on knowing how Mo would provide the money, for the prince was really unbothered about their penniless state. He followed closely after Mo.

Prince Mo suddenly stopped in his track as if waiting for someone. Lores was lost in confusion.

The waitress who served them earlier walked over. She beamed, preferring a jade pendant.

"Young masters, your snacks have been paid for. Here is the item you used to make a deposit. Thanks for your patronage!"

Mo jerked a hand to adjust his sleeve, then took the jade pendant with a pleasant smile. He gave it to Lores who was still processing his thoughts. Lores had no time to fully understand the occurrence so he took the item without even thinking.

Before their entrance into Three-silver teahouse, Mo had surreptitiously sent a carrier pigeon to Exclusive Tavern without the awareness of Lores. It occurred to him that they might run out of money and hence he chose to have a contingency plan in his mental arsenal. While they were buying things, Mo had used a coded means to convey an order to Exclusive Tavern via a silver ingot. The agent guards around recognized the coded implication of the glyph on the silver ingot. Consequently, they used a carrier pigeon under the name of the third prince to carry out the order.

Hence the explanation of how the tab was taken care of, and the jade pendant was taken back.

Mo walked out of the teahouse donning a smug smile. He took exuberance in how bemused Lores was. Lores paced after the other person.

"How did it happen?" Lores enquired. Mo lingered for some time, then sighed.

"Aren't you smart? Figure it out yourself." Lores shot Mo a frustrated glance.

"Just tell me already. Why being so mysterious about it. Ok... fine! I'll figure it out myself Prince 'pompous' Mo."

Lores hated the fact that he had to stress his brain cells over something he should have easily known. He vocalized the first thought that came to his mind.