53. The Queen Visits

In a spacious room filled with expensive decorations, from the chandelier lanterns to the well polished furnitures made of rosewood, a handsome man sat pensively at his desk. With a brush in his tight hand and a paper before him, he appeared to be occupied.

The door opened and Hilbwet came to him. When he saw what Mo was drawing, he was taken aback but perfectly subdued the emotion that engulfed him. Although Mo's composite was lacking completion, he could tell who exactly was on Mo's mind.

Without waiting for Mo to ask, he reported.

"Your highness, there have been no result no far."

Mo drew out a sigh. He had heard the negative reports for a thousand times that it had grown to make him only inwardly dejected but outwardly collected. He continued drawing the composite.

"Your highness....this is seven, right?" Hilbwet impulsively attempted to confirm. The motion of Mo's hand stopped momentarily. He glanced at Hilbwet.

"How were you able to tell? The facial features have not been included." He refocused on his drawing and examined it, pondering on how obvious it was for Hilbwet to notice. Hilbwet forced a polite smile. He wasn't habituated with smiling much, but answering Mo with bravery warranted it.

"It quite obvious. You may have forgotten. The hair gave it out. I can tell from the braids and ovally shaped visage."

Mo blinked, then chuckled at his own oblivion. "That's true." He faced Hilbwet with wry seriousness. "Two, you know, you should smile often."

Hilbwet was so used to keeping a stoic face so much that each time he smiled, it appeared as if it was forced. He sported that smile of formality again and spoke after arranging his thoughts.

"Your highness, ever since you got to know...seven, you've been more free and open. I've never known you to be...like this." Hilbwet cared a little about whatever or whoever Mo placed his interest on. But he was glad the rigidity was starting to ease up. Hilbwet was a little older than Mo. He got to know Mo at the age of 15. Although Mo didn't treat him badly, he was seen and treated only like a loyal servant. He felt special with how Mo had been incredibly free with him nowadays. It seemed like he was now more of a friend than a guard.

A smile tugged at Mo's lips. However, if that smile was closely inspected, it would be a one of disbelief. "Ah, Seven has influenced Prince Of Nan!"

Mo ignored his incredulity. "What, you don't like it?" He teased his guard.

"It's much better." Hilbwet answered with courtesy.

It was at that moment a visitor arrived. Mo immediately stood up with brightened eyes to welcome the person. A graceful-looking woman in a regal robe walked towards Mo with a slow dignified gait. An enchanting smile radiated all over her face. Her personal maid towed from behind.

"Mother, you are here." Mo's tone dripped with surprise. He assisted her by taking her hand, then walked her carefully to the a table where they sat apart.

"Greetings, your majesty." Hilbwet lowered his face. Queen Haisley acknowledged with a receptive smile.

"Mo, you look surprised. Can't I visit my son at any time?" Queen Haisley joked, playing a teasing smile.

"No. Not it. I would have prepared to welcome you. Forgive me for not being tactful." Mo apologized. Haisley darkened her face.

"I'm your mother. Don't be formal. You can talk like that when relating with other people."

Mo smiled filially. He then suddenly discerned an oddness on his mother. Amidst, her gorgeous smiles hid an unusual paleness that betrayed her perkiness.

"Mother, you don't look too well. What's up with you?" Mo stared worriedly at her.

"Her majesty caught a cold yesterday. I persuaded her to stay indoors but she insisted on seeing you." The maid Nelia chimed. Haisley gave her a sidelong look of caution. The maid became aware she was being talkative. Her face was brought very low to rest on her chest.

Mo frowned. "And why don't I know of it?" He queried the maid.

Hiasley appeased the growing tension with a sheening smile. "It's not her fault. I told her not to. You've been busy with official matters lately. I didn't want to add to your burdens."

Mo was discontent with her explanation. Besides his reputation, the other thing he never joked about was his mother's health. "You're never a burden to me. If I had known, I could have come to visit. Winter is just few weeks away. You shouldn't have left the palace in the first place. I will arrange the royal doctors to see to it." Mo concluded, leaving no room for debate. Haisley sighed resignedly. Once Mo made up his mind, it was difficult to talk him out of it.

"Alright. Alright. You're still 20 and you're already sounding like your dad." She threw Mo a mischievous look. Prince of Nan flushed at first, then reduced the brightness of his face for two reasons. Firstly, It made him seem kingly which he believed wasn't yet due. Secondly, he was just compared to that sly old fox. Haisley was ignorant of Mo's train of thoughts. She went ahead to poke fun at him.

"So tell me, have anyone crossed your mind? You're of marriageable age, you know." A coy smile marked her face, her mischievous eyes examining Mo's disoriented face.

"AHEM!" Mo feigned a cough. Hilbwet's visage lightened with the cue of a smile. Mo served himself tea from the whistling kettle. There she go again! His mother had recently brought up marriage related matters first at the archery contest when he visited her. And now, she had reopened the debate that had been dormant since then.

"Mother, don't tell me you left the palace, walked in the chilly weather only to come here and discuss about my marriage." Mo voiced in astonishment. His mother curved her lips callously.

"Of course! It's worth it. Your marriage is very important. It is my utmost wish to see you settle down and build a family." She turned to Hilbwet. "You've been with Mo. Tell me, has he shown interest in any lady lately?"

Mo's cheek burned. He stared at his mother like a helpless doll. Hilbwet was a bit unnerved by the question, his lips twitching. He ruminated on how to tell the queen that Mo's preference wasn't actually a lady. He glimpsed at Mo who was giving him a side stare conveying strict warning.

The guard was left to take sides, and he chose his superior. "Answering your majesty, his highness is pretty occupied with responsibilities. He has no time for romance."

Mo straightened himself before speaking candidly. "Motherrr." He drawled. "I've told you before, and my answer remains the same. I have not thought about marriage for now. I'm always busy with official matters that I don't even have time for myself. How can I have time for someone else?" Mo affirmed his decision with exaggerated seriousness. Hiasley could only let out a sigh of concern.

"Don't over exert yourself so you don't fall ill." Her voiced laced with motherly care. "I just want the best for you as my son. Alright, if you still insist, I will wait till the time you're ready to settle down. I want you to be happy." She finished with a smile. Mo reciprocated her heartwarming smile. He loved her for her caring and understanding nature.

"You tell me not to over exert myself but you're blatantly doing so." Mo's face turned a little pale. "You should also take care of yourself, mother. You don't look very healthy."

"I'll take care of myself dear." She replied kindly. But Mo wanted to be sure of it. He gave her a questionable look.

"You have to promise me that."

Hiasley chuckled modestly. "Okay. I promise."