n i n e t e e n

The next 2 days, Ronnie was busy helping Nancy work on sample templates for the newspaper for school

The next 2 days, Ronnie was busy helping Nancy work on sample templates for the newspaper for school. She was actually glad to spend time with them. It was the first time they got to catch up, since they couldn't with the whole saving the world time. 

"So, you and Steve?" Jonathan brings up as he puts in a new film roll into his camera. 

Nancy and Ronnie pause, holding pieces of newspaper in their hand, looking up at each other, then over at Jonathan. 

"Well, there's Steve, and then there's me. But there's no me and Steve." Ronnie answers, smirking at him. 

"So, things are going well between you two?" Jonathan adds. 

She furrows her brows at him, dropping her attention on the newspaper and putting it on Jonathan, crossing her arms. 

"Why you so interested, J?" Ronnie pushes. 

"I'm not, just asking." He defends. 

"Asking a lot about my ex boyfriend." Nancy jumps in, leaning against the kitchen island. 

Jonathan rolls his eyes, the two girls in his life being so dramatic. 

"I'm just a little concerned that's all. He hurt Nancy the first time around, and-and I just don't want that happening to you." Jonathan explains, and Ronnie pouts her lip out.

"J, that's sweet, but I'm gonna be fine. He-He's different with me." Ronnie defends, leaning forward on the island. 

"She's right Jonathan. I mean, he does seem more mature and he's got lovey dovey eyes for her." Nancy comments, nudging Ronnie, smiling at her. 

"Shut up." Ronnie pushes, rolling her eyes. "It's okay right? If I hang out with Steve?" She adds, looking over at Nancy, who's just a few inches shorter than her. 

"Come on, of course it's okay." Jonathan answers, putting his hand over Nancy's, smiling at her. 

"That's my cue to go home, love birds." Ronnie adds, patting the island, before walking towards the basement door. 

Running down the stairs halfway, looking off the rail seeing the boys just glare at her. 

"I'm going home." Ronnie breaks the silence. 

"Kinda busy here." Dustin replies, waving his hands at his friends.

She rolls her eyes, going back up the stairs, saying good bye to the rest of the Wheeler family, and heading home. 

On the way home, she spots a familiar red head on the street riding her skateboard. Slowing down, and rolling her window down she comes to a complete stop when Max notices her, jumping off her board.

"Long time no see, Mayfield." Ronnie teases. 

Max gives her a weak smile, still not saying greeting her back.