t w e n t y - s i x

As promised, Steve continued to flirt with Ronnie

As promised, Steve continued to flirt with Ronnie. Complimenting her looks, her grace, her everything, but it still didn't make her change her mind about being just friends. Not openly to Steve at least. 

Since she had promised herself and Nancy that she would enjoy her senior year, she tried pushing her feelings for Steve deep down, but it was hard when every time she saw him, he had looked better and better. 

She hated when he would still wear the sweaters or shirts she bought him, or when he did cute things like opened the door for her. She hated it the most when Steve would knock or ring the door bell at the front door, instead of sneaking into her window like he used to. Missing his body next to hers when she went to sleep, but being friends was good. Hanging out without any awkward tension was good, but it made so much sexual tension. 

The three of them would hang out on occasions, Robin, Ronnie and Steve. Sometimes at Family Video or when they did things as a group, but she would never hang out with Steve alone. 

"Yeah mom, I'm headed to school now, I'll call you later. Love you too. Okay, bye." Ronnie said into the phone, slamming it on the wall, and hearing her aunt pounding on Dustin's door. 

"Dusty, what's going on? You're gonna be late!" 

"Don't come in! I'm naked!" Dustin shouted to his mom, and she immediately shut his door with wide eyes, then walked out of the hallway to the living room. 

Ronnie hid her smile, walking towards Dustin's room, sliding his door open without any announcement. 

"Hey!" Dustin shouted at her. 

"I know you're not naked. Tell your girlfriend bye and let's go." Ronnie demanded. 

Dustin groaned, ending his transmission with Susie and following Ronnie out to her car. 

It was Friday, which meant it was Steve's turn to take Robin to school. 

"Then there's Heidi trying to get me to go out with her, even though I told her plenty of times I'm with Ronnie. But, like do I really want to start another relationship that doesn't mean anything other than sex with someone else? I mean, I don't know. Does that make sense to you?" Steve asks Robin, but when there's no response from her, he looks over seeing her do her makeup in the mirror. 

"Robin, are you listening?" He complains. 

"Uh, yes." She answered flustered. 

"What did I just say?" He asks, looking back at the road. 

"Something about sex with Linda." 

"No, I'm talking about Heidi." He replies loudly. 

"Cut me some slack, please. And you're not with Ronnie, you're just friends." Robin pleads. 

"Well-" 

"Your love life is one of labyrinthine complexity. And it is 7:00 in the morning, we have the stupid pep rally, and I woke up looking like a total corpse." Robin groaned, slapping her hands against her cheeks, looking at herself in the mirror. 

"Oh, you're worried about a basketball pep rally? Expect me to believe that?" Steve counters. 

"Yeah, so?" 

"So, we both know what this is about. Okay? I'm not buy that. This is about Vickie." He reasons. 

"Absolutely not." Robin denies quickly. 

"Yes, it is. And you know what else I think?" 

"I don't care-" 

"I think you gotta stop pretending to be someone else when you're around her. Okay, you just gotta be yourself." Steve advises. 

"You're literally quoting me to me. You do realize that." Robin mentioned. 

"Well, maybe you need to listen to yourself. Ever think about that? Smartie pants? I listened. Look at me. Boom. Back in business." 

"It's not the same thing. Okay? And, I don't think Ronnie friendzoning you is back in business." Robin commented. 

Steve purses his lips, and turns to Robin. "Well, at least she's talking to me." 

He sticks out his tongue, gripping the steering wheel, slightly offended every time it comes to Ronnie and his relationship.

"You ask out Ronnie and she says no. Big deal. Nothing happens. Maybe your ego's a little bruised. But, I ask out the wrong girl, and and bam, I'm a town pariah." Robin complains, smacking the top of Steve's car. 

"Yeah, I'd buy that, except Vicki is definitely not the wrong girl. Ronnie would agree with me." Steve reasons. 

"We just don't know that, do we?" Robin asks, spraying a breath refresher and choking on it. 

"She returned Fast Times paused at 53 minutes, 5 seconds. Do you know who pauses Fast Times at 53 minutes, 5 seconds?" Steve mentions, looking over at Robin for an answer. 

"People who like boobies, Robin." Steve answers for her, a little too excited for Robin's comfort. 

"Ew!" Robin groans. "Gross. Don't say boobies." 

"Boobies." Steve repeats. "Not a big deal, okay? I like boobies, well Ronnie's boobies. You like boobies. Vicki likes boobies. Definitely." Steve adds, leaving Robin speechless at how many times he's said boobies in the last 30 seconds. 

"It's boobies." He adds, pulling into the school parking lot. 

Robin is quick to hop out of Steve's car, rushing towards her other friends.

"Bye to you too!" Steve shouts out his window. 

"They grow up so fast don't they?" Ronnie startles Steve, inside the window of the passenger side of his car. 

He smiles, looking over at her brown eyes glistening in the morning sun, practically drooling over her. 

"She was talking about Vicki all morning." Steve mentions to her.

"She's overthinking it." Ronnie agrees. 

There's a short pause between them, both of their eyes lingering into each other's.

"You going to the game tonight?" Steve brings up.

"Yeah, I promised Lucas I'd go, even though he hasn't gotten off the bench all season." She answers. 

"Okay, yeah, great. We should sit next to each other." He suggests. 

"Well, who else am I going to sit with? I talk to those Barbies enough during school." 

He smiles, nodding at her. The bell rings, and Ronnie stands from the window, walking towards the other side of his car to walk towards school and turns around half way to Steve. 

"Nice haircut, Pretty Boy." She compliments, not waiting for his response and rushing to meet up with Nancy who waves to her. 

"She called me Pretty Boy again." Steve says to himself smiling and putting his car in drive.