t h i r t y - f o u r

"She knows you guys are staring at her

"She knows you guys are staring at her." Ronnie breaks the silence, looking at Steve, Dustin and Lucas on the couch, as their eyes are glued on the back of Max's head. 

"What, sorry?" Steve asks. 

"She's right." Max agrees. 

"You said you needed something?" Lucas tries to play it off. 

"Just hanging out." Dustin adds. 

The three boys trying to play it cool with Steve throwing the ball to himself, while Lucas and Dustin grab a book off the table, pretending to read it. 

"How you think your eyes boring into the back of my head is protecting me from Vecna, I don't know." Max says to herself, getting up and sighing as she shuffles a few envelopes in her hands, standing right in front of them. 

The boys still don't look at her, and Ronnie rolls her eyes. 

"You can look at me now." Max gives them permission. 

"Thank you." Dustin replies. 

"Sorry." Steve adds, and the boys stop pretending and look at Max. 

"For you. For you. For you, and um, you." Max says, handing each of them an envelope with their names on it. 

"Oh, and, um, give these to Mike, El, and Will. If you can ever get a hold of them again." She adds, handing Lucas the rest of the ones in her hands. 

As Dustin and Steve start to open the envelopes, Max stops them, putting her hand up. 

"What are you doing? No, don't. That's not for now. Don't open it now." Max informs them. 

"I'm sorry. What is this?" Dustin asks, holding up his envelope. 

"It's um..." 

"Her safety net." Ronnie answers upset, turning to Max. "Right?" 

"It's a fail-safe. For after... If things don't work out." Max confirms. 

Lucas tries to reassure Max, but Max is quick to deny him, and says that she practically deserves to be cursed, and how she wasn't surprised. They're quiet for a second, unsure what to say, then Max walks over to the walkie talkie, holding it up for Dustin to see. 

"If we go to East Hawkins, will this reach Pennhurst?" Max asks. 

"Of course, yeah." Dustin answers. 

"Why are we talking about East Hawkins?" Steve interrupts. 

There's a short silence of them looking at Steve, who realizes they were up to something and shakes his head. 

"No. No. No!" Steve rejects, looking at everyone. 

Max runs out the back door anyways, making everyone grab their things quickly, and following her out onto the driveway.