t w e n t y - f i v e

"So, do you want to talk about it?" Nancy brings up, both of them setting their books down on the table in the library

"Talk about what?" Ronnie counters. 

"About how you're going to hang out with Steve today." Nancy pushes. 

Ronnie rolls her eyes, and sighs. "We've been like broken up for months, and I'm tired of planning around Steve to hang out with Robin like we have split custody of her or something." 

"So, like, what's your plan? Get back together with him? Be friends with him?" Nancy adds, unable to concentrate on studying. 

Ronnie looks up from her book for the 3rd time now, and shrugs her shoulders. 

"I haven't really been around him in months, let's just see how today goes and see." Ronnie answers. "I'm not going to let myself be vulnerable with him and get hurt again though." 

When Ronnie looks back down at her book, Nancy decides to drop the conversation and get back to studying herself. Neither of them bringing up Steve again for the rest of the day at school. 

When the last bell rings, Ronnie heads to her car, turning around when she hears her named being called out behind her, seeing Robin running up to her. When Robin reaches her, Ronnie purses her lips, stopping herself from laughing as Robin dramatically catches her breath in front of her, continuing to walk to Ronnie's car.

"I'm riding with you, so I can make sure you're not going to bail on going to Family Video." Robin explains, getting into Ronnie's car without any permission. 

"Little dramatic, don't you think?" Ronnie asks her, starting her car.

"I could say the same for you and Harrington. Neither of you have talked or gotten closure." Robin counters, raising her brows, knowing she had a good come back. 

When they parked in front of Family Video, Ronnie hesitated next to her car, while Robin was already at the door, turning and tilting her head at her. 

"Hey, I'll be here no matter what." Robin reassured her.

Ronnie took a deep breath to brace herself before following Robin in. She didn't know how to act around Steve anymore. Whether or not to give him a cold shoulder, or pretend nothing happened between them at all, or give him another chance. 

When she steps inside, she immediately spots Steve in a nearby aisle stocking the movies, and attempts to rush towards her, almost knocking over the cart, stumbling to get by it just to get to her as if he was surprised she came. 

"R-Ronnie, hi. H-How was school?" Steve stutters nervously, pushing back a piece of his hair out of his way. 

"Hi, um, it was fine." Ronnie answers dryly, a little unsure of what to do with an unexpected flustered Steve. 

"Relax Romeo, give her some room to breathe." Robin insists, grabbing a hold of Ronnie's arm and pulling her behind the counter. 

Ronnie takes a seat, looking around behind the counter and how not a single thing has changed since the last time she hung out with them there. 

"You look really g-"

"How'd you move on so fast? Be honest." Ronnie blurt out, interrupting whatever thought Steve was having. 

Surprising not only herself, but Steve and Robin. She knew they were going to eventually have to talk about things, but this is not how she thought it was going to go, but she had more feelings about it than she thought. 

"I'm gonna give you guys a minute." Robin commented lowly, walking towards the backroom, complete silence until Robin was out of their sight. 

"I didn't move on." Steve answers quietly after sighing. 

"You going on dates says otherwise." She counters. 

He drops his head, hopping over the counter to take a seat in the chair in front of her after picking his head up. 

"I-I was angry and upset, and confused so I thought I could distract myself with girls." Steve explained, scooting closer to her, their knees almost touching. 

"Did it work?" 

"No." He answered instantly. 

"Did you sleep with them?" She asks.

Even though she asked quietly, it sounded so loud to Steve. Echoing throughout the store, grateful that there weren't any customers in right now. 

"No." Steve repeated.

Ronnie crosses her legs, leaning back into her chair and tilted her head at him. 

"I thought you were going to be honest." She pushed. 

"I have never lied to you." Steve mentioned. "I called you everyday, why didn't you call me back?" 

"You stopped calling." Ronnie countered. 

"No, no, no. Don't do that. I stopped calling because you never said a word to me, no phone call, no letter, Robin wouldn't even talk about you around me." Steve argues, leaning forward on his elbows on his knees. 

She stays silent, uncrossing her legs, tucking her hair behind her ears. 

"Where'd you go?" Steve asks. 

"I met my parents in California." 

"What'd you do?" 

"Mostly stayed in the hotel while they worked, and um, I went to see Jonathan, Will and El for a few days." She answers, watching Steve subtlety react at Jonathan's name leaving her lips. 

"Too busy with Jonathan to call me back?" Steve asked, his tone sounding a bit jealous, which makes her roll her eyes.

"No, uh, the being in Paris part made it difficult to call you. Along with not knowing what to say." She argued. 

"I'm sorry." He added, taking her hands in his, rubbing the back of them with his thumbs.

She was happy she was sitting down, because just the one small touch made her weak in the knees. The first time they touched since she left. 

"I'm sorry for everything. I meant every word on all of those calls." Steve pleaded. 

She gave him a half smile, knowing he was telling the truth, replaying the voicemails in her head, and how she listened to them every night. 

"Give me another chance." He added. 

"I don't think I can do that right now. You really hurt me, Steve." She responded. 

His hands drop hers, looking down between his legs, feeling his heart break yet again. 

"But, we can be friends." She offered, putting a hand on his knee, and he finally looked up at her and smirked. 

"I don't think I can ever be just friends with you Ronnie, but I'll try." He comments, making her smile back. 

"That doesn't mean I'll stop flirting with you though." He adds, both of them chuckling. 

"I didn't think it would, Pretty Boy." Ronnie agreed, a grin appearing on Steve's face, almost forgetting how he loved when she called him Pretty Boy. 

They hear footsteps coming from the back room, turning towards Robin peeking out and smiling. 

"So does this mean we can all hang out again?" Robin asked. 

Ronnie and Steve looking at each other smiling, then turning back to Robin. 

"Thank god!" Robin added, rushing to her friends and pulling both of them in for a tight hug.