f o u r t y - t h r e e

They went to Max's trailer instantly, to get away from the gate

They went to Max's trailer instantly, to get away from the gate. Ronnie spent the next few hours lying on the couch in silence. Unable to fall asleep, scared to see the things she saw if she closed her eyes. Bobbing her head from falling in and out of sleep, she would up to see Steve watching her. Giving him a weak smile, he sat on the other end of the couch, picking her legs up to rest on his lap, taking his turn to sleep for a little. 

The next morning, they gathered around her, letting her take her time to talk. She took a deep breath in, looking at Steve who nodded at her. 

"He showed me things that haven't happened yet. Fucked up things." She started, her voice low. 

"I saw a dark cloud spreading over Hawkins. Downtown on fire. Dead soldiers. And this... giant creature with... a gaping mouth. And it wasn't alone. There were so many monsters, like an army. Spreading around Hawkins. And then, he showed me Dustin, my aunt, even my parents, and they were all..."

Tears started to swell in her eyes, looking down at the ground. 

"Okay, but he was just trying to scare you, Ronnie. Right? I mean it wasn't real." Steve tried to reason. 

She looked up and him, and he knew she was actually frightened. 

"Not yet. But there was something else. He showed me gates. Four gates around Hawkins. And these gates, they looked like the one inside Eddie's trailer. But they didn't stop growing. It wasn't the Upside Down Hawkins. It was our Hawkins. Our home."

"Four chimes." Max commented, and they all looked at her. "The clock. It always chimes four times. Four exactly." 

"I heard them too." Ronnie confirmed.

"He's been telling us his plan the whole time." Max explained. 

"Four kills." Lucas added. "Four gates. End of the world."

"If that's true... He's only one kill away." Dustin muttered. 

"Jesus Christ." Eddie freaked out quietly. 

"Try 'em again." Steve looked at Max.

She walked over to the phone trying to reach the Byers's place.

"Anything?" Nancy asked. 

"No. Three busy signals then it ends." Max answered. 

"Maybe you punched it wrong. Try again." Steve insisted.

"I didn't punch it in wrong." Max argued. 

"Well, I don't know." Steve replied. 

"I think she knows how to use a phone." Dustin defended Max. 

"I'm just saying, she could've typed it in wrong." 

Max tried calling again, hanging up the phone, turning back to him.