f o u r t y - t w o

"All right, big brain

"All right, big brain. What's your next move?" Ronnie looked up at her cousin. 

"One sec." He answered, running off. 

They took a step back from looking up from straining their necks, as Lucas and Max drug a mattress to the opening. 

"Those stains are, uh... I dunno what those stains are." Eddie tried explaining himself. 

Robin cringed and nodded at him. "Mmm."

"Here goes nothing." Dustin groaned, throwing tied bed sheets through the hole, landing on their side. 

"See if it holds!" Dustin insists, and Robin pulls on the sheets, laughing as it held. 

"Guess I'm the guinea pig." Robin sighs.

They nodded at her, watching her jump onto the sheet rope, pulling herself up, and when she passed through to the other side, flipping over and landing on the mattress. The rest of them looking over at each other seeing who was next. 

"All right, guess I'll go." Eddie announced. 

Afterwards, Ronnie nodded at Nancy for her to go, watching her safely make it back to their world. 

"See you on the other side." Steve nervously chuckled at Ronnie. 

"On the other side, Harrington." Ronnie smiled. 

She grabbed onto the rope, pulling herself up but when it was her time to flip through, she fell into black oblivion. Screaming until she landed on her back. Wincing as she held onto her head, she quickly got up, looking around at her surroundings. 

Meanwhile in reality, Ronnie was still standing there in front of Steve. Eyes glossed over white, with Steve shaking her. 

"Ronnie? Hey! Hey! Stay with me. Wake up, Ronnie. Veronica!" Steve shouted at her. 

Back in the darkness, Ronnie realized she was back at the mall. A dark, Upside Down version of the mall. 

"Do you remember what happened, Veronica?" Vecna's voice appeared, and she started breathing heavily as she was scared 

"You could have prevented him dying, if only you gave him a chance." Vecna said.

Ronnie looking down from the second level seeing Billy in the air with the mind flayer's tentacles inserted in his body. 

"I remember everyone I kill, do you?" Vecna asked. 

Suddenly, Ronnie was placed in a red, eerie place. With floating rubble and the grandfather clock ringing around her. Just like what Max described when she was in Vecna's mind. 

"I can see you looking for me, Veronica. You were so close. So close to the truth. How was the old, dumb, blind Victor? Did he miss me? I've been meaning to check in, but I've been so busy." Vecna added.

Ronnie walked down the steps she was on, looking at the tree stump that had Chrissy's lifeless body wrapped in dead branches. 

"So very busy."

Then a door appeared. The door of Victor Creel's house. It opened, showing her the memory of Victor Creel's family, when they were all alive and well. Following the little boy around, seeing memories of the little boy lurking around in secret, holding a black spider on his hand. Turning around when another memory showed him going to the attic. Following him, seeing a shrine of jarred spiders, with the little boy drawing them. 

Following him down the stairs, seeing the grandfather clock in its prime. The little boy standing right in front of it, watching the hands on the clock as it ticked. The hands spinning around faster when the little boy shut his eyes. Turning around at the sound of shrieking, transporting her outside as she watched the boy kill a rabbit with just sticking out his hand, torturing the creature. Sending her back inside the house, she followed the light into the dining room, watching as the little boy was the one who killed the mother. Sending her up in the air, breaking every bone in her body, her lifeless body dropping on the floor. 

Switching to a lab, watching through the glass as the little boy received a tattoo on the inside of his wrist. Just like Eleven's. 

"There's nothing to be afraid of. Is there, Veronica?" The doctor giving the tattoo, asked.

She started to breathe heavily, Dr. Brenner turning to look at her through the glass, his eyes glossed dark blue. 

"Why don't you take a seat?" Dr. Brenner asked, his voice distorting. 

She turned running out the door, seeing blood and bodies in the hallways. 

"Ronnie, stay with me! Whatever you guys are doing up there, hurry up!" Steve shouted, holding Ronnie's still body. 

Ronnie continued running down the hall, reaching a door, but she tried to pry it open, slowly turning around when she heard footsteps. 

"Veronica, what are you doing?" Vecna asked, walking towards her from the other end of the hall. 

"It's not time for you to leave." 

Ronnie turned back around, shaking as she pulled the boards off of the door, pushing herself in as she made it through, stopping when a distorted Dr. Brenner was inside waiting for her. 

"Take a seat, Veronica." Dr. Brenner directed. 

The lights flickered off, Ronnie breathing heavily. When the lights turned back on, she was strapped to a chair, with branches wrapped around her arms and legs. Vecna in the corner of the room, walking up to her, hovering right over her face. Unable to speak from fear.

"I want you to tell Eleven... I want you to tell her everything you see." Vecna demanded, putting his clawed hand up to her forehead. 

Making her see visions of red and destruction. 

"No!" Ronnie shouted. 

"Tell her everything." Vecna repeated, turning her visions black. 

When Ronnie opened her eyes again, she felt her body falling backwards. Steve easing her down, trying to calm her down. 

"No! No!" Ronnie shouted, trying to push him off.

"Hey! Whoa, whoa, whoa." Steve held her head, "It's okay." 

She looked up at him, breathing heavily with tears in her eyes, holding his arms as tight as she could. 

"I'm right here." He added, pulling her close to him. 

"I-I..." Ronnie tried to say, but he held her close shushing her, trying to slow down her breathing. 

"Steve! Is she okay? Ronnie!" Dustin's voice called after them. 

"Yeah! She's okay. We're coming up." Steve answered. 

He helped her up, holding her arms, looking at her directly. 

"Let's get out of here, okay?" Steve insisted, and she nodded. 

She turned to the sheet, jumping up and climbing through. Eddie pulling her up, Dustin pulled her right into a hug. She held him, leaning her head on his. 

"I'm here, Dustin." She whispered.