twenty-nine

author's pov

Y/N walks to her studio and gets to work as she waits for Chen to arrive. Playing the current soundtrack, she bobs her head along to the beat and hums her current lyrics. After ten minutes, a knock is heard at the door and she stands up to let them in.

"Y/N-nieee! How you been?" Chen greets.

"Chen! I've been really good. I missed you!"

They hug and Chen sits at the chairs with Y/N. They converse a little bit before he brings up the topic of the song Y/N needs help with.

"So.. who's it about?"

"What do you mean?" she gives him a confused face.

"Your new song? I figured you'd need help because it's an overly emotional song or something and you needed some support."

"...No one. It's not about anyone."

Y/N tries not to get shy but Chen notices her tone.

"Aiyah... did Y/N find someone??" he teased.

"Yah, let's just get to work!" she turns to her sheet music and he laughs before following.

Y/N plays her current soundtrack and Chen listens closely. He smiles after she stops the demo and claps lightly. She smiles at him and playfully bows.

"This is a great demo, as expected from our Y/N!" he pats her back.

"Hehe, thank you. I feel like something's missing though which is why I need your assistance. Should we add some different instruments?" she asks him.

"Hmm... maybe once we get to the first verse, we can quiet down the instruments. We'll leave a simple drum beat with guitar and base. Do you have the rest of the lyrics?"

She turns to give him another sheet and he looks at the rest of the song.

"Ahh, okay. So we can do add some more drums through the chorus. Go play your electric set. When we get to the bridge, we'll add some piano to it. Then, we'll build up with drums for the last chorus."

"GENIUS!!" Y/N celebrates before a high five.

"Haha! Alright, let's get started."

Y/N walks into the vocal booth and she instructs Chen to start at the first verse. She hears the count-off in her headphones and she starts singing.

'Woah... everytime I see you
When I see your eyes, my heart keeps fluttering
You're my destiny
The only person I want to protect until the end of the world'

Chen cuts the music and claps loudly before praising Y/N through the glass. She smiles back before thanking him.

"I'll repeat that chorus and then we can start the first verse."

"Alright, I think you can get through the choruses pretty quick since I only need you to record it twice. Then, we'll move onto the bridge before finishing the final chorus."

The beat starts playing at the chorus portions and Y/N counts off by bopping her head to the count.

'When you look at me
When you look at me and smile
It feels like my heart will stop
How about you?
It's really hard for me to handle
All day, I think of you'

'We went in circles for a long time
But even if it's now, I'm alright..'

"Okay, let's take a break from vocals. Come out here and we can play around with the drums."

They walk to the electric drums room and Y/N sits.

"Okay, just follow the nice beat you made with the pad and then we'll transfer it. With Chen's help, Y/N gets the rhythm and they add it to the instrumental.