Hitting the Road

Chris was picking me up at my house a few hours later after he went to his hotel and picked up everything. This was insane! I want riding from Savannah Georgia to Boston Massachusetts. This was at least a 2-day trip...what was I thinking?! I couldn't do this. I picked up my phone to text him but I heard a knock on my door and I sighed, he was here...I only have 2 suitcases and my laptop bag. I had shipped all my boxes back to Boston. I opened the door and he was smiling at me.

"Ready to go?" Chris asked and I nodded.

"Yep. Just have to get my bags." I said.

"I got them. No problem." Chris said and I stepped to the side so he could grab my two suitcases. I sighed taking of last look at the tiny little apartment I had that served me well once my boyfriend decided Savannah wasn't what he wanted and left. I left the keys where I was supposed to and I headed down to Chris's SUV he had rented to drive home. I got in the car and Dodger was in the backseat laying down, clearly nervous

"Hey Bubba. Look at what I found when I got home." I said and handed him his favorite chew toy. He got excited as Chris got in the car.

"You had that with you?" Chris asked and I sighed.

"I took it from work to remind me of him when I got home before I knew you were adopting him..." I said and Chris laughed as we put on our seat belts and he headed out of town to the highway.

"Okay so to be honest...I don't know what I'm doing here. My last dog I got in Boston and he was so acclimated to traveling when I got him and we bonded instantly. What do I do in this case?" Chris asked and I sighed.

"Just reassure him that it's okay and talk to him about life in Boston. I know he will love the low-key life...if that's what you live. I know he never liked the craziness of all the dogs in the shelter and the hectic life it could be." I said as Chris nodded and I smiled looking at Dodger.

"Hey bubba...come up here." Chris said and Dodger got up and put his head on the center console and Chris took a hand off the wheel and started petting him. I just smiled at them. Once we were on the highway Dodger had moved and placed his head on Chris's shoulder and they both were watching the road. I couldn't resist and took a picture. Chris looked at me and smiled.

 Chris looked at me and smiled

"Sorry, I couldn't resist." I said and Chris shook his head.

"No, thank you. I love taking pictures of me with my dogs so please send that to me and don't stop either. If you see the chance, take a picture." Chris said and I nodded. After I sent Chris the picture my cellphone started ringing and I sighed.

"Sorry, I need to take this." I said and he nodded.

"Hello?" I asked.

"What is this about you getting a ride with some guy?!" I heard my mother's voice panic on the other end of the line. I looked at Chris knowing he heard and he just smiled. I had called her and left her a voicemail before I left.

"Yeah, mom it's fine...trust me." I said and she sighed.

"Elise Nicole...we have taught you better than to get take a road trip with some stranger." My mom Layla said.

"Mom...it's fine. I have known him for about 2 weeks now. He came in to work every day to play with one of the dogs and everything is going to be fine." I said and she sighed.

"I want to talk to him." Layla said.

"What?! No!" I said and Chris hid his laugh.

"Elise...." She said in her mom voice and I looked at Chris and he nodded. I put the phone on speaker phone.

"Mrs...?" Chris asked in a whisper.

"Byers." I whispered and he nodded.

"Mrs. Byers, hi this is Chris."

"Chris...you have a last name?" She asked and I groaned knowing she was about to find this out and I sighed.

"Evans."

"Right...like my daughter is in a car with her celebrity crush since she was 17, Chris Evans." Layla said and I placed my hand on my head.

"Mom..." I groaned and she heard me.

"It's true Mrs. Byers." Chris said and she gasped.

"Oh god! You're not lying." She said.

"No mom he isn't. Thanks for ratting me out." I said and she laughed.

"Well gives you something to talk about." Layla said and I groaned. "Chris, I expect you to get our daughter home in one piece." Layla continued.

"Of course, we will be perfectly safe." Chris said and I smiled at him when he winked at me.

"You good now mom?" I asked.

"Yes, I will let your dad know. He was worried as well." Layla said.

"Well, we don't want a third degree from him either. We are safe." I said and she laughed.

"I will try and stop him. Love ya kiddo and safe travels." She said.

"Love you too mom." I said.

"Bye Mrs. Byers." Chris said.

"Call me Layla." She said and.

"Bye mom." I said and hung up.

"God, I'm so sorry." I said and he shook his head.

"If I had a daughter, I would check in with the guy she barley knows taking her home too." Chris said and I smiled.

"Did you tell anyone in your family?" I asked and he nodded.

"My mom and older sister." Chris said and I smiled.

"What did they say?" I asked.

"Well to treat you with respect and if you need to stop, we stop. They expect a full report when we get home." Chris said and I laughed.

"Do they know about...?" I questioned motioning to Dodger who was now laying on the back seat again.

"Nope, he is going to be a surprise." Chris said and I smiled. We were silent for a minute.

"Do you want to mention or should I?" Chris asked and I knew what we meant and we started laughing.

"I told you I was a fan when we met." I said and he nodded.

"But since you were 17?" Chris asked and I groaned.

"Not Another Teen Movie was when I first saw you and was an instant fan." I said and Chris shook his head with a smile.

"I don't know if I should thank you or be appalled by that, that was the movie you became an instant fan with." Chris said and I laughed.

"Be flattered. Since that movie I have seen practically everything you have done." I said and Chris smiled.

"Okay what would your favorite be then?" Chris asked and I shook my head.

"You'll just have to wait and see...we got a long trip a head of us." I said and Chris smiled and nodded. He saw a park sign and on the side of the road and it said the accepted dogs.

"Want to stretch and take someone for a W-A-L-K?" Chris asked and I nodded.

"Good job in spelling and yeah sounds great." I said and Chris went to get off the highway.