Like Us

Chris and I decided to take the dogs hiking instead of to the dog park so he went home and changed and I was in my room at my grandparents changing while Boots laid on the bed. There was a knock on my door.

"Come in." I said and my mom walked in and she saw me in my leggings and matching sports bra.

"So...last night..." Layla said and I blushed.

"What about it." I said.

"You didn't come home yet Chris earlier said you guys made it into town last night."

"Right..."

"So where did you stay?" Layla asked.

"Um...Chris's house in a guest room." I said and she sighed.

"Elise..."

"What?! Nothing happened." I said omitting the truth about the kitchen.

"I love how happy you seem but don't you think you are moving a little fast?" Layla asked.

"What you aren't thinking about mom is that Chris and I have known each other for a few weeks before we even traveled home together." I said.

"I do know that Elise, I'm not stupid but I mean this isn't a normal guy..." Layla said and I groaned.

"You think that hasn't been weighing on my mind mom? I mean he is Captain America for crying out loud!" I said and she sighed with a smile.

"I just don't want to see you get hurt. After Michael..." She said and I glared at her.

"Can we please not mention Michael. I changed myself too much to conform to him and where did that get me? Left in Georgia with nothing." I said and she sighed.

"I just don't want to see you get hurt." Layla said and I groaned.

"I get it mom and don't think I'm not guarding my own heart." I said and she sighed. We heard someone knock on the door and she smiled.

"I'll go let him in." She said and I nodded. I placed a tank top over my sports bra and looked at Boots.

"Ready to go hiking?" I asked and she perked up. We headed down the steps and I saw Chris standing there in sweatpants and a t-shirt. He smiled seeing me and Boots.

"Hey, ready to go?" I asked and he smiled as I hooked Boots to her leash. I kissed my mom's cheek and we headed to his car. Once we got in Boots and Dodger laid in the backseat together and we smiled.

"Well, they are two peas in a pod already." I said and Chris smiled. He leaned over and his lips brushed mine.

"Like us?" Chris asked and I smiled and kissed him.

"Like us." I said repeated. We drove to the hiking trail and got out. What my mother had said was weighing on my mind and I knew I needed to talk to Chris. He took my hand that wasn't hold onto the leash as we go on the trail and I smiled.

"You want to tell me what's been bugging you since I picked you up or should I guess?" Chris asked and I smiled at him.

"It's nothing serious just a conversation my mom and I were having when you got to the house." I said and he sighed.

"What about?" Chris asked fearing the worst.

"Chris don't worry it's nothing bad. My family loves you. It was more along the lines of me getting hurt because of who you are." I said and he sighed.

"I would never let you get hurt Elise." Chris said and I nodded.

"I know you wouldn't and I think it's more along the lines of you hurting me because of who you are. Not psychically but mentally and emotionally. I mean I'm just a normal girl Chris, I don't know anything about how your life goes." I said and he nodded.

"Well, I would never throw you into the lion's den. I like to keep my Boston life as private as I can." Chris said and I smiled.

"I know and I didn't want to bring it up. I mean it's been just us for the past couple of weeks and I didn't even think about it until my mom mentioned it." I said and Chris nodded.

"Listen, how about we just stay us, like this, like we are. If it comes down to it and something has to be done or said, we will discuss what we want to do." Chris said and I nodded.

"Sounds perfect." I said and he smiled. He leaned down and gave me a small kiss. We just continued on our hike in silence and enjoyed the weather and time together in nature and solace.