The Unexpected

After the night Chris and I slept together we had spent almost every day together. He knew I had to take care of my grandparents and was good about hanging out at the house or going out with them. I did get time alone with him as well and when we did get alone time, we barely spent that time dressed and out of his bed.

About 2 weeks later Chris told me he was hanging out with some friend in town, and I was fine with that. I decided to take Boots and my grandparents to the park to sit and people watch since the weather was getting cooler and fall as setting in. I had packed up a small lunch and it was going to be a good day. As we were sitting at the park my cellphone went off with a text.

CHRIS: I miss you. 😘

ELISE: I miss you too. 😘

CHRIS: These guys are the worst company, I would rather be with you.

ELISE: You would just rather me in your bed...

CHRIS: Wow and you always say my minds in the gutter. 🤣

ELISE: Because it is. Are we still on for date night tonight?

CHRIS: Disney movie marathon with pizza and wine, you bet.

ELISE: Perfect.

CHRIS: What are you up to?

ELISE: Have the grandparents at the park eating lunch and people watching.

CHRIS: Well, I better get back to these guys. I will pick you up tonight at 7.

I put my phone away smiling and my grandmother looked at me.

"You look happy? Just talk to Chris?" She asked and I nodded.

"Yeah, he is hanging out with some friends right now, but we have date night tonight." I said and they smiled.

We were all silent for a little while longer and I sighed watching families.

"Hey what's wrong?" Grandma asked and grandpa looked at me as well.

"Oh, nothing just daydreaming..." I said and they noticed.

"Of the future. Maybe of a husband and kids...." Grandpa said and I smiled and nodded.

"I mean I could never see it with Michael." I said.

"But with Chris?" Grandma asked.

"I mean I won't say that it's a clear picture...it's nice to envision though." I said and they both smiled.

We all just sat until I heard my name called.

"Elise?" I heard and turned to see Carly, Chris's sister walking up to us. I stood up and hugged her and she smiled.

"Hey, this is a surprise." I said and she nodded.

"Yeah, especially since Chris said he was going to with you all day." Carly said and I shook my head.

"No, we have a date night tonight. He is with some guys who are in from out of town." I said and she looked at me oddly.

"No one is in from out of town that I know about." Carly said and I looked at her oddly.

"Carly, is something going on?" I asked concerned and she sighed pulling out her phone. She called a number and put it on speaker phone.

"Hey, everything okay?" Chris answered.

"Yeah, I was just taking the kids to the park and was going to see if you and Elise wanted to join us. She has yet to meet the kids." Carly said and Chris sighed.

"I'm not with Elise right now. I had some other plans." Chris said.

"What plans Chris?" Carly asked and he groaned.

"Just plans Carly, let it go." Chris said and I hung my head.

"Alright well maybe some other time then I guess." Carly said.

"Yeah, listen I have to go." Chris said and before he hung up, I heard a girl laughing at something. I looked at the ground and didn't know what to say or do.

"Thanks Carly. I needed to know." I said and she half smiled as I walked back over to my grandparents.

"You guys ready to go? It's getting chilly." I said and they nodded as we all got to the car and left the park. Once I got them to the house, I was sitting in my room with Boots sitting at my feet feeling my tension.

"It's not what we think right? We should just go check..." I said and she barked. I got up and she followed me to the door. I looked at my grandparents.

"I will be back later, gonna take Boots out." I said and they nodded. I loaded up Boots up in my car and drove to Chris's house. He had given me his gate code a couple weeks ago so when I arrived at his house I pulled into and got Boots from the car. I walked up to the front door and knocked just waiting. I heard Dodger start barking and I got excited as did Boots. Once the door opened, I was shocked by who I saw.

"Can I help you?" Jenny Slate asked with a sweet smile.

"Uh, no...I'll come back later." I said. I pulled Boots to the car, quickly loaded her I the car and drove off.