47: Reece

WARNING: Self-harm!

"Darling, you are goddamn beautiful..."
– Nautica

~ R E E C E ~

February 1994

Age 14

I walk down the street to my house, with my right cheek aching and knuckles bruised.

Another fight.

Unlike the time when I was a child, I stand up for myself now. Ruthless, I may be, but it's the only way to give nobody a chance to provoke me. I managed to scare that kid Leonard so much that he will never dare face me again, so let alone mess with me. Fortunately for him, he will go to school without having to worry about running into me for two weeks.

I got suspended.

I roll my sleeves up to hide Leonard's blood stains from mum. She will find out about what happened, or maybe she already does know what happened.

Well, either way, I don't want her to see the blood. She already has seen enough and she panics too much at the sight of it. Although she was never - and still isn't - able to completely stop that man from harming me, I don't blame her.

I mean, if she can't save herself, then how can I expect her to save me?

When I enter my driveway, I glance at the front door of the house next to mine, unconsciously hoping that the door opens to reveal a pair of beautiful green eyes, that the owner of those eyes runs towards me with a breathtaking smile, that she'd hug me and assure me that I can keep her with me forever.

I still miss Dorothy Sherman.

I know that it has been three years since she left for the boarding school and that one would naturally expect those years to wane the affectionate feelings I harbour for her.

But no.

If anything, my feelings have grown stronger. As days go by, my yearning for her grows. Everyday, I'd think about her; how much she has grown, whether her green eyes are still as vibrant and warm as I remember them to be, whether she misses me as much as I miss her.

As I stare longingly, the door opens and my heart rate picks up.

Heartbreakingly, Richard Brace, Dorothy's step-father, steps out.

I haven't seen him or Joanna for almost three years. Mum told me that they left London for good.

Well, I guess she was misinformed because they're clearly back now.

"Mr. Brace," I call out, catching his attention.

He looks at me with a frown before he proceeds to his car, indifferent. I jog towards him.

"Mr. Brace! Mr. Brace, how's Dorothy?" I ask, standing behind him.

"Fine," he replies curtly, jabbing the key into his car door.

I wish his answer were longer.

"Is she coming back for Easter break?" I ask.

"No," he huffs, opening the door to sit inside.

Before he can shut the door, I stand between him and the door, not allowing him to leave.

"Why?" I ask.

"Move it, kid!" he snaps. "I've got places to be."

I cross my arms.

"I won't let you go unless you answer my questions," I say firmly, narrowing my eyes at him.