19

"Why can't you just see how lost I am without you...?"
– Nautica

❀❀❀

~ D O R O T H Y ~

November 1997

The azure sky, the faint warmth of sunlight on my skin and the sound of rock music gracing my ears stir pleasant feelings. It feels like a new day, a new beginning. An opportunity to move on.

Everything was moving too fast for me. I realised that I was not feeling like me in London. The usual me. The funny, cocky and playful me. But, I felt alive the last two days, and it was not just Sister Alexa who helped me feel that way.

I look to my right. With his blue eyes glued onto the road, Damien has his sleeves rolled up to his elbows, exposing a glimpse of his tattoo on his left arm. It was small, and it looked like a bird, made up with black swirls. The kind of bird, I do not know.

Damien's bright blue eyes land on me.

"You're smiling," Damien points out.

I am? Oh, I guess am. I rest my head back and close my eyes, basking in the sunlight.

"It's a beautiful day, even though it's November. I'm going to miss the sunny days," I say.

Nolan and his hen, Bethany, are sitting at the back. While he coos at his hen, Bethany is constantly clucking.

"Want to play a game?" Damien asks.

"Depends," I say. "What are you suggesting?"

"10 questions. We ask each other 10 questions about ourselves. A great opportunity to learn about me."

I roll my eyes. He just has to make it about him.

"But there is nothing I want to know about you," I say, suppressing a grin.

"Ouch," he says. "Do you hear that?"

I open my eyes, and notice that his hand is resting on the left side of his chest.

"Hear what?"

"The sound of my heart shattering into a million pieces."

Geez.

"Oh, I thought it was the sound of your ego deflating. I guess you're still full of yourself," I reply nonchalantly.

Suddenly, laughter bursts into the air. I turn my head around and see Nolan clutching onto his stomach as he laughs his head off.

"Ha... She's something, alright. I like her," he says, calming down.

"Hey, I called dibs first," Damien says, glancing at his best friend from the rear-view mirror, smirking.

"Oh, we both know you didn't," Nolan mumbles.

Damien's smirk disappears and a flicker of realisation crosses his features before his grip on the wheel tightens. The energy oozing from him suddenly feels tense and gloomy. I wonder why. Before I can ask about it, Nolan continues.

"Those nuns are so damn cranky," he whines. "I swear they need to get laid."

"Nolan!" I gasp, whipping my head to face him with a look of disbelief.

"What?" he asks, confused at my overreaction.

"Nuns don't do that."

"They don't?" he says, frowning. "Like ever?"

"Of course they don't!"

His eyes suddenly widen and his lips part.

"Oh... No shit they're cranky. They're missing out."