54

"I look at the moon because it gets me. It has been following me all my life..."
– Nautica

❀❀❀

~ D O R O T H Y ~

February 1998

When the bell rings, signalling home time, I head to my locker to drop off some of my textbooks while the majority of the students pour out of the corridor through the exit. I open my locker and ignore the gruesome notes sitting inside.

"Hey Dorothy," a masculine voice greets, catching my attention.

I glance to my left and see a pair of crystal blue eyes.

"Hey Damien," I reply, shooting him a wide smile.

"I feel like I barely see you around outside of Physics class," he says, leaning the left side of his body against the neighbouring locker.

It's true. I would always see him in Physics class and, occasionally, in the corridors. But I am not the only one to blame for our lack of interaction. Damien has been busy too. Ever since we both decided to prioritise building our futures first, he has been working really hard to catch up with his studies and on completing his applications.

Honestly, it makes me so happy that he is finally putting in effort to build his future, which I'm hoping is bright and successful.

"Ah, yeah. Sorry, I've just been so busy with tutoring and the play rehearsals," I say, sliding the textbooks into the locker before shutting the door and locking it.

When I face him again, I take in his appearance. His coal black hair is in its usual low ponytail. His blazer is draped over his right shoulder, held from the collar by his right hand. The sleeves of his white button-up shirt are rolled up, exposing his muscular arms and a hint of dark ink on his upper arm. He wears a diamond stud in his right ear.

"I understand," he says, nodding. "I've been swarmed with so much work that it's starting to get ridiculous."

He and I begin to walk down the corridor, which is now less crowded.

"Are you busy this Saturday?" he asks.

"On Valentine's Day?" I ask, to which he nods.

"I was thinking that maybe we can hang out?" he explains. "I mean... It's been a while, right?"

"It has. It would be nice to hang out. What do you have in mind?"

"We can maybe go to the Natural History Museum?"

"That sounds great! I'll ask Jenny to join–"

"Actually... I was hoping that it would be the two of us."

In a normal scenario, I wouldn't really mind visiting a museum with him alone. But now that I am in a relationship with Reece, it just doesn't feel right to hang out with him, especially on Valentine's Day – especially when I know that he still has feelings for me.

"It sounds like a date, no?" I say, frowning.

"Friend date," he corrects me. "Unless you're ok with us going on a real date? I'd very much be up for that."

He grins at me, but then he notices the hesitance from my expression.

"But it'll mean nothing!" he quickly adds. "It's just to celebrate Valentine's Day. No strings attached, I promise."

While a part of me wants to make up an excuse to not go, the other part – the larger one – wants to tell him the truth about me and Reece. It is very clear that Damien is waiting for me and, because I care about him so much, I don't want him to waste his time. I just think it would be better to just tell him now than to lead him on and keep him optimistic.