23

"It's because I love you so much that I have to give you up..."
– Nautica

❀❀❀

~ D O R O T H Y ~

November 1997

Stupid Damien Clarke. Stupid. Stupid!

While a minuscule part of me is flattered by his feelings for me, the other massive part of me is happy with just how we are: friends. Why does he want to ruin the whole thing by pursuing me?

I appreciate everything that he has done for me. Like today, when I skipped college with him and Nolan. I was able to feel alive and I felt so much better. He has been an amazing friend to me. He makes me laugh, and whatever challenge life throws at me, he helps me push through it. When he helped me in the boy's locker room, when he drove all the way to St. Anne's, when he persuaded mother to let me stay at St. Anne's, when he tried to reassure me that he will protect me, and when he tombstoned with me... Living through all these moments has compelled me to look at him in a completely new perspective.

Honestly, I am a little anxious of losing him. The major reason why I rejected him is because I am not ready to date. But another reason is that if we were to date, and if it doesn't work out (which is quite possible), we can never revert to how we currently are. I'd lose the funny, egotistical Damien Clarke forever then...

When I enter my house, I make my way to the staircase, but I halt when I hear a faint voice. It doesn't belong to mother. Curious, I slowly approach the source of the feminine voice and find myself standing in front of the ajar kitchen door.

"He asks about her every day," I hear the voice say behind the door.

There is a pause of silence during which my curiosity peaks. The voice sounds very familiar, I just cannot pinpoint who it belongs to.

"I don't get it," mother sighs. "I thought that once I'd bring Dorothy back, everything would be the way as it used to be."

"Me too. It's a wonder why it hasn't. Has Dorothy said anything? Reece barely speaks to me about anything these days."

I finally realise that the owner of the voice is Linda. I wonder why she is talking about me. Why is Reece asking about me?

"Well..." mother says with a higher pitch in her tone.

"Joanna..." Linda says, suspicious. "I know that tone. Do you know something?"

"I might have a... slight idea."

"Joanna! I thought you were like my sister. You are not supposed to hide things from me. Please tell me. Please."

"Alright... She told me that Reece hurt her, and he was one of the reasons why she ran away."

"Oh my... I-I..."

"But it's ok. They're young and-and naive and sensitive. They'll figure it out on their own, Linda."

"No," Linda says, her voice breaking. "I know my son. Whatever Reece has done, I-I apologise. I didn't know-"

"No no. Please don't apologi–"

"To be honest, I had a feeling that Reece ruined it. But he is actually a good boy, Joanna."

"I know he is, Linda."

"But he can be..." she sighs. "He just doesn't think sometimes. He acts on impulse. A terrible trait. I blame his father. He ruined everything for us. But then again, I was too blinded by love and made stupid decisions."