15

"I miss your bright smile, your warm hugs, your soft kisses..."
– Nautica

❀❀❀

~ D O R O T H Y ~

November 1997

I try to dash out of the boys' locker room but, out of nowhere, Monica and her two friends appear and stand at the doorway, blocking my way. With a mischievous glint in her fake green-coloured eyes, Monica crosses her arms, smirking wickedly.

"Well, well, well," she sneers.

"Get out of my way," I order, feeling my heart pound against my chest.

She doesn't comply, continuing to smirk at me. I try to move past her but she grabs onto my shoulders, catching me off-guard, and pushes me. Colliding against the floor, I feel pain shoot through me. I lift my head and notice a small patch of blood on the floor. Running my fingertips across various areas of my face, I find the source of the blood; the right side of my forehead.

Not again...

No one helps me. Everyone is just watching, as if it were a theatrical show.

"Why are you trying to run away?" Monica says. "Go on, show everyone what a huge whore you are."

I try to sit up, and when I do, I notice how translucent the shower curtain is. Pressed against my wet skin, the curtain is revealing my skin colour and body shape.

"What is your problem?" I snap at her. "This is abuse!"

"Oh no, this is abuse. Blah blah. Oh, just shut up!" she mocks, spitting.

Ignoring the soreness and the pain, I stand up while gripping onto the curtain that is wrapped around me to make sure it doesn't fall.

"Move," I say through gritted teeth, glaring.

She seems unaffected.

"No. It won't be fun if I do," she sighs.

Just as I am about to push her away and wreak havoc, someone grabs onto my arms, restraining me. I look behind me and see Reece. Unlike most of the guys in the locker room, Reece is wearing black shorts and a dark blue hoodie. His hair is wet, having a darker colour.

"Let me go," I growl at him, trying to shake my arms away from his grasp but it is to no avail.

His face slowly leans closer to my ear.

"You think I have feelings for you, right?" he whispers so low that only I can hear it. "I'll prove you wrong."

Prove me wrong? Oh no... This is not good. What is he planning to do? My heart drops. I try to escape from his grasp, desperate.

"Reecey! I've got her clothes," Monica informs, oblivious to what Reece and I have just exchanged.

She displays my uniform along with my underwear and bra in front of everyone. One of her friends gives her a pair of scissors. She takes it happily. My eyes widen and I snap my head to look at Reece pleadingly.

"Don't let her do anything. Please, Reece," I say. "Y-You promised me you'd never let anyone hurt me. For our childhood's sake. Please help me."

He shoves me away, showing no compassion. My back hits the wall. With stinging eyes, I watch helplessly as Monica starts to snip my clothes into shreds.

"Wooooooah," the crowd hoots, clearly entertained.

"N-No! P-Please don't!" I beg as every ounce of my dignity chips away.