6

"She exchanged her heart for his last name..."
– Nautica

❀❀❀

~ D O R O T H Y ~

October 1997

I stand in front of a floor-length mirror as I examine my reflection one final time. A maroon tie hangs from my collar and my white blouse is tucked inside a black skirt that reaches just below my knees. Dark tights cling onto my slender legs and my hair is tied in a high ponytail. I glance at the beaded bracelet wrapped around my wrist and smile, happy to have a piece of Sister Alexa with me.

"Dorothy, let's go!" mother's voice calls from downstairs.

"Coming!"

I sink my feet into a pair of black, polished shoes and put on my black backpack before dashing out to go downstairs. When mother looks at me, she beams proudly.

"Dorothy, you look very smart," she praises.

"Thanks," I say, shooting a faint smile at her, a bit uncomfortable.

"How did I get lucky to have such a beautiful daughter? When I was younger, I wasn't half as beautiful as you."

Seriously, why am I getting a lot of compliments on my looks lately? I never saw myself as someone beautiful, so let alone someone attractive. I shrug as a response, not really taking her words to heart, before she and I walk out of the house.

***

The large building grows as we near it. Hampton is a red-bricked building that is three storeys high. There are many varying sizes of groups of students making their way to the entrance, a pair of large black gates that are wide open.

"Are you nervous?" mother asks as she parks the car.

"I am actually excited," I say, making her smile.

"It makes me happy that you will get the best education. Not some dodgy education at the countryside."

I frown at her words. How can she even say that about St. Anne's? Although I struggled with settling there at the beginning, I actually grew attached to the place. Plus, they took care of me when mother was not able to.

"St Anne's is not dodgy," I say, trying not to sound rude. "That place was my home for the last seven years. They looked after me."

She purses her lips before she shakes her head.

"Let's go," she says, desperate to not dwell into this topic.

I obey and get out of the car with her. The clock strikes exactly 9 when we walk into the college office. There is a middle-aged woman sitting behind a desk. Her blue eyes land on us and a wide smile pushes its way to her face.

"Good morning," she greets.

"Good morning. This is Dorothy Sherman," mother says, nudging me to stand ahead of her. "And I am her mother, Joanna."

"Ah! So this is Dorothy Sherman. I am Mrs. Porter. Welcome to Hampton!"

"Thank you," I say to her, returning her smile.

"It's alright, Miss Sherman," she says, looking at mother. "We will help Dorothy from here."

"That's great," mother says before she pecks my forehead. "I hope you have a wonderful first day, dear."

"Thanks," I say, still trying to get accustomed to her affection towards me.

I do not hate her anymore, but I still feel weird around her. I just need more time. When mother leaves the office, I look at Mrs. Porter, who is busy rummaging through piles of paper scattered across her table.