3

"He was a Casanova but her quirkiness turned him into a Romeo..."
– Nautica

❀❀❀

~ D O R O T H Y ~

October 1997

I stare at the beaded bracelet wrapped around my left wrist with a heavy heart. I assure myself that this is not our final farewell, just a first of perhaps many. Sniffing one last time, I watch the view in front of me. The cloudy weather reflects my mood.

"Would you like to listen to some music?" mother asks.

I groan internally.

It has just come to my attention that it will take four hours to get to London and that I will be spending the entire time with mother alone. I honestly do not want to put up with her for a single, ephemeral moment, so let alone four hours!

"No," I reply curtly.

"Oh ok..."

I hope that she does not try to indulge me in small talk with her.

"Are you feeling too hot in here?"

Seriously?

"No."

Please. Don't. Talk. To. Me.

"Ok... What's your favourite season?"

You know what, I am not even going to bother answering her. Surely she'll leave me alone, right?

"Favourite school subject?"

Silence.

"Do you play sports?"

Silence.

"Are you hungry?"

Are you freaking kidding me?!

"You know," I finally snap, facing her, loud. "You seem pretty alright given that your husband died just a few days ago."

A look of hurt crosses her features before she covers it, focusing on the road.

"I'm just glad that I finally have my daughter with me," she clarifies after clearing her throat.

"But why did you come get me now? Especially after your husband passed away?"

With her shoulders now taut, she fidgets a bit in her seat, straightening her back. Her eyes become glossier.

"Now isn't the right time to explain it," she says.

Unsatisfied by her reply, I cross my arms and snap my head away from her to look at the view from my window. I bet she just said that because she can't come up with an excuse.

Oh, how I hate her.

"Coward," I mutter.

I know she heard me, although she does not say anything.

For the next three hours, there was nothing but silence. With pursed lips, I watch closely as open farmland morphs into cramped buildings as we near the capital city. Once we enter the city, I begin to look in awe. I am accustomed to seeing rural views, so it feels quite surreal that I am actually in a bustling city. It takes every ounce in me to not display any sort of excitement to mother when I spot famous landmarks.

Big Ben. Tower Bridge over the River Thames. Buckingham Place.

London.

I certainly cannot believe it. Because it has been such a long time, I vaguely remember what it is like to live in one of the best cities in the world. After a while, when mother turns the car to the left, the street we enter is familiar.