26

"He drinks every night to get her out of his mind..."
– Nautica

❀❀❀

~ D O R O T H Y ~

December 1997

A loud squeal fills my bedroom.

"Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god!" Jenny says, fanning herself. "I can't believe you finally said yes. Like, how? How on earth did you agree, woman?"

Jenny and I are sitting on my bed. It's nearly six o'clock. She was extremely curious about what happened between Damien and I, so she invited herself over to my house after the auditions ended. I didn't mind; I enjoy her company quite a lot and find her excitement amusing.

Shaking off her shoes, she shifts her body to face me and crosses her legs. Beside her lies a bag filled with nail polishes. She brought it with her, planning to have our nails done together while we 'gossip', as she said. No one is allowed to wear nail polish at college, but because winter break has finally begun, she decided to get our nails painted. I contributed to our little hang-out by bringing snacks to my room from the kitchen.

Jenny takes out a mini muffin from a plastic box and takes a bite.

"I... Well, he was persistent," I begin. "Too persistent. But then I thought about it. Damien is actually a nice person. I thought that I should just give him a chance. Besides, I feel like I'm returning him a favour for all that he has done for me."

"And what did he do that made the all-mighty, all-stubborn Dorothy Sherman accept?"

Childish, I poke my tongue out at her to express my disapproval at her way of describing me. I then rummage through her bag and pull out a bottle of black nail polish. She nods in approval and I twist it open. I then tell her everything while painting her short, square nails slowly. She swoons on hearing some parts and fans herself on others. When I finish, all her nails are done.

"I didn't know that he did so much for you," she gushes. "Driving to and from your previous boarding school is not an easy feat."

"Yes... I'm very grateful."

"You're so lucky, Dorothy. Damien is not known to be caring."

"I'm sure he is, underneath all that ego," I say, making her laugh.

"I don't blame him. He is so hot. Ah, you're so lucky. I feel like you two will make a cute couple."

"Don't get too optimistic about this. It's just one date."

"When's the date?"

"We've not decided yet."

"Oh my god. When you two do decide, let me know. You and I will go shopping, missy."

"Why?"

She looks at me in disbelief.

"To pick an outfit for your date, duh!"

I point behind her, at my closet with my index finger.

"I have clothes in the cupboar-"

"It's your first date, Dorothy! And with Damien gorgeous Clark. You have to look hot!"

"Nuh uh. Me and hot don't go in the same sentence," I say, shaking my head.

"You're clearly blind. But don't worry. You have me. I am your other perspective. The better perspective," she says with a smile.

"Well then, oh my better perspective, I need your advice. Which colour should I go for?" I say, gesturing to the bag of nail polishes.

"Definitely purple," she says excitedly.