41

*SURPRISE SURPRISE*

"I needed to be safe, not stronger..."
– Nautica

❀❀❀

~ D O R O T H Y ~

January 1998

"I love you," Reece says.

He...

Loves me...?

"More than anything or anyone," he continues. "I didn't dream of our reunion for so long just so that you can leave me forever. I didn't fight to live just so that you can give up on living. I didn't fall in love with you just so that I can be deprived of the chance to express my love for you."

The way he is with his words...

The way he is watching me...

Gosh, my heart feels like it can burst any second.

Reece Walker loves me.

Immediately, the darkness that has besieged me begins to diffuse away, paving way for hope.

Hope that I can experience happiness, though most likely not on my own.

"I only ask that you don't leave me, Dorothy," he says. "Please don't leave me, because I won't ever forgive myself if I lose you."

A lump grows in my throat as realisation of the consequences of my reckless action hits me.

What have I done?

If Reece hadn't stopped me, what would have happened to him? To mother and Sister Alexa? To my friends?

I'm stupid.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid!

Reece then hugs me, startling me. He holds onto me as if he's afraid I'd disappear any moment, desperate.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have left you alone," he whispers.

I slowly return his hug while nuzzling into the crook of his neck, remorseful. 

"It's not your fault, Reece," I breathe, with my lips trembling. "I'm sorry for doing this. I-I don't know what came over me. I... I just lost myself in my thoughts..."

As we hold each other, I cannot help but burst into tears for the millionth time tonight. I can't believe that I did this to myself. I had never acted so recklessly and selfishly.

But then... I was nearly...

I shudder, not daring to complete that sentence.

...Can my life get any worse than this?

Well, given how I'm a human magnet for the worst of lucks, it can.

When I was sitting in the bathtub, possessed by despair, I wanted to disappear before the worst could come and irrevocably destroy me. I mean, why would I want to continue to stick around for the inevitable? I have suffered far too much already, way past the limit of my tolerance.

When Reece hesitantly lets me go, he gently holds onto my arms, examining them. He watches them as if his most valuable possession has been damaged.

You're my everything, Dorothy...

...I guess that explains why.

I shut my eyes, taking a deep breath in. I try to remember the way Reece looked at me as we danced in the rain together. How it was freezing, but his eyes held so much warmth that the cold did not bother me. I'd do anything for him to look at me like that instead.