49

"You appear even in my dreams..."
– Nautica

❀❀❀

~ D O R O T H Y ~

January 1998

The dark sky is dotted with twinkling stars when Reece and I get out of his car. We walk down a path that leads to a pair of tall gates, behind which different shades of colours flash. Faint music is heard from beyond the gates with exhilarated screams piercing the air. As we walk closer to the entrance, the massive structures of the rides come into view: ferris wheels, rollercoasters, evolution, freefall – the list is endless.

"A fair?" I say to Reece, facing him with a grin, pleasantly surprised and excited.

He nods, mirroring my excitement.

Every Friday evening, Reece and I would pick some place to go together. Reece decided that he would pick a place today, but he chose to not tell me to surprise me.

Holding each other's hands, we walk through the gates. Long queues snake in every direction while rollercoasters zip back and forth as fast as a bullet, leaving behind traces of decrescendo screams. The air is filled with a mouth-watering aromas of hotdogs, candy floss, spiced apples and fried churros and donuts.

As we walk by a stall, something catches my eye.

I look up at the human-sized octopus plushie with the cutest smile and twinkliest eyes embroidered on it.

And there is only one left.

I guess Reece notices my interest as he asks a question to the middle-aged man running the stall.

"How do we win the octopus?"

"3 balls through the hoop, boy. You get 5 balls," the man replies.

"I'll play," I say, pulling out my little purse from my jean pocket as determination runs through my veins.

Before I get the chance to unzip my purse, Reece snatches it from my grasp.

"I will pay," he says.

"No, Reece. I won't let yo–"

"Please, I insist. Tonight's my treat."

"But–"

"No buts."

He hides my purse in his jacket pocket before he takes out his black wallet and hands the man a five pound note.

I'll pay him back later. No matter what.

The man then places five balls on the bench in front of me. I throw the first ball, which barely reaches the hoop. Frowning, I pick up the second ball. It flies too high over the hoop until it bounces back from the hoop backboard. Cursing, I throw another ball.

It shimmies through the hoop! Feeling hopeful, I throw the fourth ball. It goes in! On my fifth ball, I recite a small prayer before I throw it and...

It hits the backboard.

I slump my shoulders.

I was so close...

I glance up at the octopus, whose twinkling eyes are watching me, begging me to win him. Gosh, I want him so bad. I even thought of a name for him.

"I want to try again," I say, more determined.

Reece hands the man another five pound note.

"I will pay you back," I tell him, serious.