43

"I had to change every part of me just to be with you..."
– Nautica

❀❀❀

~ D O R O T H Y ~

January 1998

When I enter Hampton with Jenny by my side, I cannot help but notice that most of the students in the corridor are staring at me. The chitter-chatter dies down, replaced by hushed whispers. Jenny locks her arm to mine, shooting me an encouraging smile, as we walk to our lockers. When I open mine, about a hundred degrading notes gush out of my locker onto the floor.

I've never received this many in one time before.

I bend down to pick them up. Jenny, noticing the notes, dashes towards me to scoop them up as well. The passersby simply watch and whisper to their companion's ears.

"You weren't kidding about how horrible they are," Jenny says, glancing at some of the words. "It hurts me that you had to handle this on your own."

"Not anymore," I say, smiling at her. "I have you."

Touched, Jenny gives me a quick hug, before she proceeds to collect the notes.

After chucking them in the nearby bin, we take out our Physics books and head off to class.

As the day goes by, there is no sign of Monica or Jared, much to my utter relief. However, I do not see Reece around.

Is he absent today?

Come to think of it, he does not attend college that often.

I wonder why.

When it's lunchtime, Jenny, Harris and I sit at our usual table in the cafeteria. I munch on my sandwich, as I listen to Jenny and Harris' conversation, trying to ignore the burning gazes of the female students.

"How's your grandmother?" Jenny asks.

"She's back home now, continuing with palliative care," Harris replies.

"How is she dealing with it?"

"She's... She's happy to have the attention," he jokes. "But we don't treat her like she's sick, you know?"

"That's really considerate," she says.

"She's lucky to have you all," I add.

"Thanks," he says. "She has been asking about you, Jenny."

"Oh, has she?" Jenny asks, surprised. "Then, I'll come over to visit. Is this weekend good?"

"Yes."

"Great!"

"Oh my gosh, you guys. Where have you been hiding?" a high-pitched voice says, followed by the sound of a chair scraping against the floor.

All of us turn our heads to face Luna, who is making herself comfortable on her seat at our table. Jenny narrows her eyes at her.

"I've been trying to call you guys all weekend! Leo somehow ended up in New York and he's currently on his way back now–"

"You can't sit with us, Luna," Jenny says, interrupting her.

"Hmm? Why not?" she asks, confused.

"Because we are no longer your friends."

Her blue eyes widen.

"What do you mean?!"

"You are the reason why Dorothy got hurt."

Luna glances at me with a clenched jaw, before she looks back at Jenny.