27

"Cherish her..."
– Nautica

❀❀❀

~ D O R O T H Y ~

January 1998

When school ends for the day, Jenny and I leave the building together. Earlier today, we decided to have a dinner buffet at Escape tonight with Harris and Luna. Leo can't make it because he is ill today, resting at his home. Nolan and Damien will be joining us though. After saying a quick farewell to Jenny, I make my way to the football pitch.

Expectedly, I see Reece, dressed in a pair of black shorts, a black shirt, knee-high white socks and black trainers. He is making his way towards the pitch. I jog towards him.

"Reece!" I call out, a little breathless.

He stops and turns around to look at me. I stop in front of him.

"Dorothy," he breathes, his dark brown eyes widening. "What brings you here?"

After catching my breath, I stand straight and clear my throat.

"Your failed Trigonometry test brought me here. Mr. Martin says that I have to tutor you," I reply. "Unfortunately."

"You're saying that as if I'm burdening you," he says, crossing his muscular arms.

"Why were you not in Mr. Martin's class today?"

"I had a check-up."

"Oh... How did it go?"

"Not too bad."

How vague, but considering that he is about to go to the football pitch, I'm sure he's doing fine.

"Ok," I reply. "So I'm available during lunchtime–"

"Let's not ruin lunchtime," he says with a small smile.

"Fine, I'm free during the sixth period-"

"I have English."

"Then how about after school ends? The library will be less packed then anyway."

"No. I have football practice."

"Everyday?"

"Most days. I want a fixed schedule with the tutoring."

"Are you purposely trying to make things difficult?" I sigh. "Ever heard of compromise? Let's stick with lunchtime–"

"Oi Reece!" We hear someone yell.

We snap our heads to the source of the masculine voice. One of Reece's team members is waving at him.

"Coming," Reece yells back.

He then looks at me.

"Look, I'll pop by your house later today."

"Oh no no no! You can't just come by my house anytime you feel like it..." The loudness of my voice wanes towards the end of my sentence.

"Why not?" Reece asks. "I thought I was always welcome to come over whenever."

I purse my lips, my mind being sucked down the memory lane.

"Reece, come to my house!"

"Hey Reece, let's have a sleepover at my place!"

"You don't have to ask. Just come over anytime you want."

"My treehouse is your treehouse."

"We can make a secret doorway between our gardens in the fence. I'm not allowed to open the front door without asking mummy, but you can come through the fence into my house anytime!"