10

"It's sad how you can make a song I dance to into a song I cry to..."
– Nautica

❀❀❀

~ D O R O T H Y ~

November 1997

Today, everyone in the cafeteria is more chatty than usual – mostly girls who are too busy whispering, squealing and giggling.

"It's one of the best events of the year," Luna explains to me. "His parties are a legend. An absolute legend."

"It's a mix of everything," Leo adds. "Pool, disco, dance, barbecue, karaoke - you name it, his party usually has it all."

Opening my small tub of thirteen grapes, I continue to listen to them.

"It's going to be so much fun," Luna says.

Jenny nods her head and Harris seems unfazed. Basically, Damien is holding his eighteenth birthday party at his house this Saturday. None of us have received a formal invitation, but, as Leo put it, "If you hear about it, then you're automatically in."

Weird, right? Any stranger can just stroll into your house and rob you or something.

Behind Luna, I spot Damien. He is chatting with Nolan with a smile. When his eyes land on me, he pats his close friend on the shoulder and leaves him. A grimace appears on my face when I realise he is approaching our table. Apparently, my dear friends are so immersed in their discussion about the party that they do not realise that he is standing right behind Luna.

"Hey guys," he says.

In a flash, everyone's heads snap up to face the source of the sound. A look of disbelief washes over the twins' faces. Jenny stops chewing, staring blankly at Damien, while Harris narrows his eyes at him. Damien's eyes fall on me and a smirk makes its way on his face.

"What do you want, Damien?" Harris asks.

Damien looks at him.

"It's my birthday this Saturday," he replies casually.

"We know. Hell, the whole school knows," Harris replies icily.

Does Harris have something against Damien? Because if he does, then he can definitely be my favourite friend.

"Chill man," Damien admonishes him, frowning. "I just wanted to personally invite all of you to my party."

His calculating blue eyes look at me.

"I'm expecting to see you there," he adds.

Then, he clears his throat and looks at all of my friends.

"All of you."

Then he turns around to walk away. The second he leaves, my three friends begin to breathe again. They lean towards one another, trying to suppress the urge to squeal loudly. Harris and I just look at each other, shrugging.

"Did the Damien Clark just invite all of us to his birthday party?" Luna whispers in a rush.

"Oh he did. And damn, I literally felt his breath on me. And oh my god. His breath smells like mint. Oh yum!" Leo adds, fanning himself with his hand. "I think I'm going to faint."

"We have to go!" Luna exclaims. "He personally invited all of us! He is expecting to see us!"

"I agree," Jenny adds.

"Well, sorry to be a bore, but I'm not tagging along for this one," Harris announces.

The three pair of eyes look at him.