1

"He chained his wild heart to hers, hoping that hers would tame it..."
– Nautica

❀❀❀

~ D O R O T H Y ~

October 1997

Age 17

I run as fast as I can through sprawling verdant grounds, enjoying the feel of the cool breeze on my face. Unlike the last couple of days, today is a warm, sunny day with azure skies. Chirping birds bounce between different branches in trees and the silent cattle graze. I close my eyes and take a deep breath in, feeling at peace.

A perfect day.

"DOROTHY, YOU BETTER GET BACK HERE OR ELSE I WILL LOCK YOU UP IN THE CELLAR!" I hear Sister Mary yell from behind me.

Ok, maybe the day isn't too perfect.

Snapping back to reality, I take a quick glance at her and grin when I see her round, ghostly figure. Large drops of sweat trickle down her bright red face and her triple chin is more prominent.

Oh gosh, her face is melting.

"Dorothy Sherman! You will... obey me!" she huffs, her stamina starting to fail her.

"Never!" I exclaim, trying to speed up.

The feeling of adrenaline coursing through my veins is addictive; I feel alive and unstoppable. I can run like this forever.

"Oh! You... You disgraceful child! Thank the Lord that you have good legs or else... or else you would have faced my wrath! Oh wait till I have my hands on yo – AHHHHH!"

THUD!

Curious, I skid to a halt and whip around, panting. My eyes widen and I suppress the urge to burst into laughter as I watch Sister Mary trying to get up from the muddy ground. Her black conservative dress is already covered in flour from all sides, but now the front of it is covered in mud as well. The left side of her face too.

Should I help her up?

...Nah. I'd rather watch this marshmallow roll around until she figures out how to get up on her own.

"Argh! You shameless child!" she screeches, trying to stand up but she slips and falls down again, as expected.

While she hurls more insults at me, I watch how she tries to get up multiple times in amusement. After her eighth attempt, I sit down on the ground, bored, and stretch my arms. But then, I notice a plump figure running towards us. Well, in particular, Sister Mary. I slump, knowing that there is no point in trying to outrun two nuns since I am already in heaps of trouble.

"Oh dear! Sister Mary, are you alright?" Sister Alexa yells, approaching her, breathless.

She holds Sister Mary's hands to help her get up from the mud. Sister Mary manages to stand up. Sister Alexa, after letting go of her hands, stomps towards me, pulls me up and grabs my ear, causing me to wince at the sharp pain.

"Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! That hurts, Sister Alexa!" I whine.

She makes me look straight into her stern brown eyes, fed up by my childish behaviour. Her usually pale face is tinged with pink around her cheeks.

Dang, she's furious.

"Good to hear!" she snaps. "Dorothy, you promised me no pranks!"

"Actually, I promised no pranks on Sister Jennifer," I correct her.