prologue

He was running alone in the dark night forest filled with cool air.

Overhanging branches and overgrown grass hit my hands and feet, making scratches here and there, but I run desperately out of breath.

… Should I have followed after joining the other knights?

Such a thought flashes through my head, but I immediately deny it.

The knight who was searching together was captured by the trap magic set at the entrance of the forest. It doesn't have lethal power, but it's a type that takes a long time to release. Considering the high probability of being escaped during that time, he had no choice but to take the risk of chasing even one person.

"Ah…!"

There was a sudden jerking that knocked him out of balance. He was about to be thrown to the ground, but he managed to hold onto his hand and avoid falling.

Most likely, the tree roots were sticking out behind the grass and leaves, and I stumbled. "Damn it," he cursed as he stood up.

After correcting the position of the misaligned glasses, I found a dull pain around my wrist.

It may have hurt when you touched it. However, I didn't have time to worry about it. Luckily it wasn't my leg that hurt, and I started running again.

I absolutely cannot escape. I have to catch up with her quickly and catch her.

At that moment, the bushes in front of us made a loud noise.

A figure appears in front of him who reflexively stops.

“…I didn’t expect you to come after me alone.”

“… Floraia…!!”

When her name was called, the honey-colored haired woman showed a bewitching grin.

Her body, which had always been wrapped in a beautiful dress, is now wrapped in plain colored travel clothes. It is proof that this event was planned in advance.

He caught his breath a little and asked the woman to squeeze it out.

"...why. Floraia...why.why did you kill him...!"

"Oh, what are you talking about?"

"Don't be silly!! I heard his last words! You were the one who gave me that wine!"

"That's right. His Highness died properly. Well, there's no way he'll be saved by that poison."

"You guys!!"

he was furious. He reaches for the sword at his waist, but stops at the last minute.

"Oh? Do you think you don't have to cut me?"

"...I have a lot of questions for you. Your motives. Where to get the poison. And who ordered the assassination."

"Don't you think I did it alone?"

Anger welled up at the woman who tilted her head, but he raised one arm to refuse to follow the provocation.

"I can't do this alone. Enough. I'll catch you and bring you back to the castle."

The woman laughed again when she gave up and weaved magic to capture her.

With a hollow smile, as if looking into the darkness.

"...I'll tell you because it's the last time. His Highness was a 'one who tilts the balance'. That's all."

At that moment, I felt a chill go down my spine.

Turn around immediately.

There was a large swung white blade that shimmered in the moonlight.