Episode 11 Rivalry

Spring has come again this year.

 Esmerald likes this season when the frogs wake up from hibernation. It's boring because I rarely see frogs during the winter.

 Linaria told me that she had already seen a frog in the backyard of the castle, so she said she would like to see it, so I promised to take a walk in the backyard together on the day off from the academy.

 She seems to come to the castle often on holidays, but it seems that she mainly goes to the Royal Palace Magic Division, so it's rare to see her on holidays like this.

 When I talked to Spinel, he said, "I have some business with him, too," so we decided to go to the backyard and wait.

 Before long, Linaria arrived as if she knew what she was doing. Today she is wearing a bright green dress that looks like spring.

 When I used to say that such a color was "the color of a frog", Spinel warned me, "Don't use that metaphor," so I learned what to compare it to. Bright green.

 When she arrived, Spinel became angry at the slightest greeting.

"Hey, it's you! The one who sent the extra money to Mother!"

 After being dumbfounded for a moment, Linaria smiled happily.

"Oh, how was it? Were you happy?"

"Don't be silly..."

 While I was wondering what you were talking about, Linaria put her hand to her mouth and explained.

“Actually, I gave Spinel’s mother a gift the other day.

"You don't need a bow!"

"But I'm sorry if it's just a letter. I'm sure you'll be happy."

"I was so happy! Shit!!"

 Come to think of it, Spinel received a long-distance call a few days ago, and after that he came back with a look of dismay.

 Esmerald asks, wondering if it was from Spinel's mother.

"What did you give me?"

 Linaria said with a smile.

"It's a portrait of a spinel."

"Portrait?"

"Yes. It's a picture of the New Year's parade. It seems that it sells well among the common people. Of course, portraits of His Majesty and His Highness are also sold."

"Oh really"

 I knew that portraits of kings and queens were for sale, but I didn't know that there were also paintings of myself and Spinel.

"I went to the castle town and bought them, but after careful examination, I chose the one that was the most flashy and beautifully drawn!"

"Don't go out of your way to buy it!!"

 Linaria looks like a lot of fun. He's always teased by Spinel, so he must be very happy to be able to get revenge.

"But your mother usually lives far away from you, so you don't get a chance to see the parade, do you? I'm thinking of

 Certainly, Spinel doesn't try to go to the Boulanger family's mansion much even when the duke and his wife are staying in the royal capital during the social season.

 Whenever I meet the Duke and Duchess, they always tell me to "visit the mansion more often."

"I see. Good for you, Spinel."

"It's not good!! It's embarrassing!!"

"Spinel is shy, isn't he?"

"You really remember..."

 Being glared at as hard as he could, Linaria seemed to flinch a little. She averts her eyes in the direction of the day after tomorrow.

"Well, let's go to the pond as soon as possible. I want to see frogs."

"Oh, that's right."

"I'm fine. Just the two of us and go."

 Spinel, who originally had little interest in frogs, seems to have no interest in observing frogs.

"Um. Understood."

 When I nodded in reply, Spinel glared at Linaria once again, saying, "Remember that!" before returning to the castle.

"Did that person come out to the garden just to complain to me..."

 Linaria, who was carefully threatened, looks dissatisfied. She probably said it here because she feared others would hear her when she spoke at the academy.

"You and Spinel are really good friends."

 When Linaria was told that, she pouted her lips, saying, "Yeah...".

 But Spinel's demeanor was certainly different from that of the other ladies.

 The way he treats her is similar to how he treats his sister Carnelia, but Esmerald doesn't know if that's all or not.

 Linaria also seems to be quite comfortable with Spinel. She thinks she has a look on other people that she doesn't sometimes show.

"Sometimes I envy you"

 When I said that, Linaria's expression turned complicated. She waits for a while, then she mutters.

"...I'm more envious of you."

"yes?"

 When I asked back, Linaria gave a wry smile.

“His Highness and Spinel are good rivals, aren’t they? Because they are close to each other, they can improve each other.

 Hearing that, Esmerald was puzzled.

 Spinel is both a reliable squire and a dear friend. Especially when it comes to swordsmanship, I think I can continue to work hard because there is a wall called Spinel in front of me.

 But could he be a worthy opponent for Spinel? His swordsmanship is definitely better than mine. These days, it's rare to get one, but it's all about sticking to it.

 Besides, it's been a long time since I've been relying on social and other aspects. I feel that he is always helping me in whatever he does.

"...Your Highness?"

 Linaria called out to Esmerald, who suddenly fell silent.

"... No, nothing."

 When I answer that, she smiles like she's relieved.

“If His Highness is envious of me and Spinel, and I am envious of His Highness and Spinel, then in turn Spinel will be envious of me and His Highness.

 Esmeraldo pondered a little when he said that while joking.

"...I don't know."

"yes?"

"I don't really know what Spinel is thinking."

"Really?"

 Sometimes I know, sometimes I don't. Especially when it comes to Linaria.

 No matter how close you are, you can't read everything. Like she's hiding something.

"Well, I'm not going to lose either way."

 After saying that, Linaria smiled and put her hands together.

“As expected of His Highness! Please do your best!”

 Esmerald nodded while thinking that he probably didn't understand this.

 Lately, I'm starting to understand Spinel's feelings about her being dull and stupid. …I don't think she's stupid.

"For now, let's go to the pond. I hope the frog will come out well."

"Ah, that's right. I'm looking forward to it."

 I started walking in the direction of the pond with her smiling.

 Victory is still to come.